14|Time's Mark

"Granger."

"Malfoy?" She asked, Draco approaching her as she sat next to Tom on the sofa.

"Can I have a word?"

Hermione knew it was urgent. Draco didn't have chitchats for the fun of it, especially with her. However, Tom gripped her waist even more forcefully.  Hermione shut her eyes. As she pulled herself from his clutches, she could feel his resentment of her leaving.

She followed Draco out of the common room, looking over her shoulder mouthing an "I love you" to Riddle.  He clenched his jaw. 

"What?!" She asked, once in the empty corridor.

"I want to talk to you about time."

"Time?" She repeated. 

"Yes Granger. Time. The entire reason we are fucking here in 1943."

"Language." She scolded.

"I'm not a child." He retorted, features angered.

"Then act like an adult." She persisted.

His teeth visibly gritted. She observed his mental battle to either scream at her with the largest string of insults he could come up with or keep them to himself.  She was dare say proud of him for choosing the hypothetical later. 

"What about time?" She asked calmly.

"Well. You know. My Grandfather." He informed.

Hermione shrugged her shoulders, signaling she didn't understand his point. 

"Aren't you concerned we are changing time? That well, I might not be born considering-" He let the obvious be left unspoken. 

"Draco."

He visibly shuddered at his first name.

"Malfoy." She corrected herself. "Yes, going back in time can be disastrous. However, we used your mothers time turner that avoids complications."

"So you're saying time will not be altered?" He asked for affirmation. 

She nodded, folding her arms. "Yes."

"Then, Tom Riddle will become Voldemort inevitably." Draco proposed.

"What?" She grimaced. "No-"

"Then how are you to be certain Abraxas will eventually be a grandfather to myself, if Riddle's whole destiny is changing?" He tested, and Hermione stood baffled.

"It's like a different dimension Malfoy. This dimension will not effect the dimension we come from."

"But can you be certain?"

Hermione did not know how to answer him. Naturally she thought about time travel. But she couldn't will away his questions. Nor could she fully explain what he wanted to know.

In her silence, he grew further discomforted. Granger always had the answers. How could she hesitate on such a reply? "I think we should talk to Dumbledore."

Her suspicions were sparked with the mention of the man. "What? Malfoy why. He doesn't know anything."

"Come on. Dumbledore always knows everything."

"How could he?"

"He just does Granger. You know it don't you. I see the way he watches us."

"You are acting paranoid." Yet the idea started to grow in her own thoughts. Dumbledore did partially know, at least about the first time she had travelled back in time. Was he aware about the second?