12|The Dance

His eyes scanned the room like a wolf, searching its prey under a full moon.  She hadn't gone with him to the dance, and if he were to find her waltzing around with Abraxas, this time he would hex him to oblivion. 

That's when she saw him.  "Oh Merlin, this isn't going to be civil." Hermione whispered. 

Draco simply chuckled of sorts. "It's fascinating someone could be jealous of someone such as yourself Granger." 

"Malfoy, shut up.  Oh god he's coming over." 

They stopped dancing as Riddle approached.  "May I cut in?"  He asked sternly. And Draco fleed. 

Hermione just stared coldly at him.  "You have no right to just walk up and-"

"Dance with me Granger."  He ordered. 

The next song started to play along with a roar of clapping. She lifted her hand hesitantly to his shoulder as his hand moved to her waist, pulling her close. 

"You hate dancing Riddle."  She supplied. 

"There are many things I hate currently." 

"Would I be one of them?" She asked. 

He looked deeply at her, so focused that she was sure he was reading her soul.  "You are not a thing Granger, and I most certainly don't hate you, in fact it's the direct opposite."

"You realize our relationship is built on hate?" She inquired in a low tone as they continued to move across the floor.  For some reason she loved the way it felt as her words caused him to hold her tighter. 

"There is a fine line between love and hate."  He declared as though he were some damn philosopher and not a hormonal angry teenager. 

"You cannot resent me, when you spent the past week ogling at your stupid reflection in that mirror." 

"Is that what this was?" He inquired, a hurt in his voice.  "You went with someone else to the dance so I would be jealous." 

"Did it work?"  She taunted.

"I will not divulge such information."

"You could have just asked me, but you didn't." She said a bit of scorn behind her banter.

"And for that I am stupid"

"It is not a matter of intelligence. It is a show of your character." She whispered harshly. She glanced to Mulciber standing on the opposite side of the room alone. "And for that you most certainly will not get the next dance."

She saw a frown form on his face as she stepped back, bowed with formality and then walked away. 

Tom let a small grin replace the frown as he watched her figure approach Mulciber.  He was dare say proud and would not insist her actions deigned him.  Granger was trying to make him jealous, and was punishing his mistreatment to her emotions.  As she should.  And with that thought he enjoyed watching her glide across the room in another's arms. 

She laughed at things he whispered in her ear, but as her eyes flickered to him immediately after doing so, he knew quite well it was a matter of seeing his reaction.  He never provided one.  He simply looked else where as her eyes sought out his across the room. 

As he was at the punch table, trying do figure if it was spiked with amortentia or veriterserium, Granger stormed up to him with a haughtiness to her nature. 

"Riddle!" She greeted.  "Are you still thinking about that damn mirror?" 

He smirked to himself. "Whatever would give you such an impression?"

"Perhaps the fact you haven't even glanced at me for the past half hour."   She whispered, stepping closer as to gain his attention from the punch. 

Tom's stomach did a summersult, with the feeling her statement provided.  Granger was indeed desperate for his attention, which confirmed she was still madly in love with himself. 

"You're gloating."  Hermione scoffed. 

"No, I'm merely enjoying myself."

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Hermione asked, meeting his swirling black eyes. She suddenly felt a wave of intimidation that she hadn't felt from him in a while.

"Like what Granger?"

"Like the way you're looking at me right now."

His eyes travelled to her lips. Then glanced over her figure. She was wearing a full ball gown with black sleeves, that fit her quite nicely. "Am I not aloud to admire you?"

She crossed her arms. "You could attempt socialization first."

"But isn't it so that socialization is much more exciting after an absence."

"You're claiming to have ignored me in attempts to make our interaction exciting?" She uttered in rejoinder.

He bit his bottom lip between his teeth. He lightly held his hand to the small of her back, leaning closer. "Are you excited?"

She marveled at his boldness, nether the less confused. She had to retort something that would be considered of wit, damned if she would let his flirtatious whiles leave her speechless.

She grinned looking up to meet his eyes with full confidence. "Meet me on the wooden bridge at midnight."