16|The Love of Albus Dumbledore

Hermione and Draco were welcomed into the office, suspicions confirmed that the one inside was Tom Riddle

Hermione and Draco were welcomed into the office, suspicions confirmed that the one inside was Tom Riddle. He stood leaning palms clutched to the professor's desk, and looked over his shoulder darkly to greet the return of the professor.

Hermione noticed the straightening of his face, as he noticed herself stood behind Dumbledore. "Granger what are you—?" Riddle started, yet Dumbledore held up his hands.

He shifted behind the desk, looking rather expectant at all three of them. "Tom, would you like to reschedule a time where your peers cannot hear our topic of discussion?" Dumbledore asked calmly.

"No, they know don't they. They know everything about-" He paused, looked at the alarmed face of his beloved witch. For a moment he seemed slighted by her. For a moment his desire to know everything there was about The Deathly Hallows was far greater than any other problem or instinct.

"And do you, Draco, Hermione—Do you wish to speak to me privately?"

"Draco does sir." Hermione interjected confidently, providing a reassuring nod to the boy who now looked sick. "I think Tom and I will be leaving."

The Professor seemed to be pleased with such suggestion, gave a bow of the head, and then watched as Tom swiftly left the room. "I'll manage." She spoke feebly, and then closed the office door shut behind her.

Whether she would manage was becoming less likely by the distant and angry strides he had made to escape her in the corridor. He was walking almost at a run now, robes billowing behind him so that it looked very ominous and a powerful moment. She remained calm, controlling the nerve to scream at him. His path was very obvious, as he stalked down the third floor corridor. She followed him through the trapdoor, falling into the barren chamber at the bottom, he was waiting.

"What on Earth were you doing?" She asked, noticing he was awaiting such confrontation.

"I was confronting him. You know it yourself do you not? The Deathly Hallows. It makes perfect sense now." He was positively enraged, voice sharp and accusing.

"What makes perfect sense? What does Dumbledore have to do with anything. Yes he once owned the elder wand, but by far I do not see why you are so enraged about-" She took a step back. It clicked in her head, that Voldemort had sought the elder wand himself. Was this another power trope of the Tom Riddle she thought had long gone?

"Grindelwald mentioned it. In the forest. He wanted to see Dumbledore."

"I hate to break it to you, but many know of his talents. You yourself wanted to see Dumbledore. He was your greatest enemy." She said the last bit regretfully.

"No. I do not think he was an enemy." Riddle said in the calmest tone. He quickly pivoted, entering the chess room in a matter of a few more long strides. Instantly he was pulling out a collection of old prophets. Finally, as Hermione watched patiently, noticing the odd sort of intelligence in his thought process, he pulled out a single copy. "There."