Missing Intentions

"Mom," Ondrea protested as he looked from the paper to the country-style kitchen into endless rows of golden peach trees. "I didn't know tuition would go this high! Does it change for me once I stay enrolled?"

"Why ever would it go up for you, peach? You're the good one!"

"I know, but just 'what if?' Jason's term is coming up in the mayoral election and so far, he hasn't studied like I asked him and I asked him what he wanted to major in and he said, 'Political science, I guess.' You know, like he wasn't absolutely enthusiastic."

"Why worry about what Jason could do once elected by default? By default, you would always have enough scholarships and if not, I urge you to apply for more. We are in debt but Jan and his father will only push tuition up to keep fresh money circulating back into town. They know what's best, plum, and those foreigners from Oldston and Archaica will be contributing more.

"Most of the inheritance goes toward Acacia. It may not contribute much toward us but that's the way Daphne wanted it and we must respect her wishes because, after all, we are better off."

"But Mom!"

"Did I tell you protesting much wasn't the sign of a mature, independent college student?"

If mature means drunken calls, doing laundry on the last pair of drawers, and fungus in dorm bathrooms and kitchens maturity is cake, Ondrea answered himself.

Mrs. Fiore's mind shifted uncomfortably. "However, it's my job to do what's best for you as it was Daphne's to think about her last line. You have always been a responsible one and Acacia was always like your sibling so in the morning I could call Judge Danika Pierce, so we can close this inheritance fifty-fifty. Your father may have had a foggy understanding of Daphne's wishes and Daphne hadn't the faintest clue herself."

"Mother, I'm not sure either but Acacia is her closest descendant, and not in the literal sense, I know, but it makes sense she has the most to utilize with the money and she doesn't possess the most."

"There you go with protesting my every word! Do you realize Acacia could drop out in two years at the latest? I don't know my niece's problems entirely but practically you may go on to Secondary College or Third College or Doctorate's."

"And if I don't?"

"Why wouldn't you want to become a doctor?"

"I never said I wouldn't!" He barked then added more sadly and sincerely, "I'm having doubts though. Do I want to feed my inner masochist, Mom? I know I wouldn't be in it for the paycheck like I suspect of my classmates but I'm lukewarm, Mother."

"Oh, I see...well, if you change your mind, I'm still calling court because you are my Mr. Responsible, my pear, and I'm still the full-grown apple. There are things we haven't told you about the will and things you may never understand."

The next morning, Judge Danika Pierce, Executive Judge of Domain seven years and counting, agreed to court.

Kazimir was perhaps a closer family friend than Jason, but Kazimir and the Malevich's refused involvement and accepted the small but generous offer Jason was willing to spread only to keep them away. It went without Acacia's knowledge in the amount of 2,000 Domarians.

Jason met him before another trial outside the restrooms.

"What is it, Jason?" Kazimir was tired of the untimely company.

"I want to give you this." Jason dropped ten large silver Domarian pieces into Kazimir's palm. Corn was embossed into the tails and the heads had the original kings and queens some foreigners like to call "Creation Rulers." "And I want you to keep it."