The Subtle Sailor

Acacia peered through the flower forest out toward the burning ripples of the sea. She thought she witnessed a flash of color...maybe a torn robe. It floundered in the wind but disappeared. She pulled at Circinus's mane, but the small colt did not catch anything with his mirroring gaze.

"Endurance never slowed us down," mumbled Chiron irritably.

He bowed to eat a swirly mushroom when Acacia caught another glimpse of the banner darting to-and-fro between the rocks and pine like a wandering kerchief. "Stay still—a follower!"

"It means only we've come this far to find dwellings." Circinus guided. "A follower is the first sign of civilization." Acacia trembled in aftershock. The party continued toward a sheer crag not to evade the sailor but scout for him. Circinus and Chiron scraped their heels on the cliff-hang. Thunder came despite the blue sky. Absence followed and reverberated.

Yet the party did not leave as the sails ferried closer. A giant gust of wind almost knocked Acacia off Circinus to plunge her into the rocky deep.

"Hold on as I do," Circinus expounded.

A hankered traveler tied his line to a crag.

"Whence do you come?" Chiron asserted.

The traveler was too shaken to speak. "I'm heading toward Acropolis"—

"Where do you live?" Chiron rumbled.

Once more in the past three months, Acacia began to wonder if she had picked up the wrong crowd.

"If you would please give me a chance—I come from Medora."

"State your purpose," Chiron demanded.

"I was sent to Acropolis to gather supplies. Medora is in preparation for an incoming tide."

Chiron's voice came with alternating rumbles. "Please convince me that you don't mean to harm us." He commanded.

"My journey is days away and I meant to gather supplies, in the meanwhile, since I'm already low." He shouted.

Acacia waited for one of the stallions to speak. The traveler averted his glance but did the same.

"I am Chief Chiron. This is Circinus, my guide and messenger. Know Acacia as well but tell no one in Acropolis of our goal except Young and High, Priest Kazimir and Sage Daphne."

The traveler choked, "If you would assist me, my goal is to seek weaponry."

Circinus whinnied under his breath and mocked. "Blunderers...murderers."

"It's alright, Circinus. Well, then if you are not a pirate, climb up the cliff before the spirits knock you down!" Acacia roared over the gale.

The clouds were smooth and off-white like opera cream, but a threatening front appeared, distant the isles—a scene never foretold by the forest.

Acacia unraveled a rope from her duffle that reached only halfway down the precipice. Circinus gleamed over the edge.

"Let me assist, my mare." Chiron helped gnaw the rope. It must have taken the traveler a dreamcatcher's blooming to navigate the rocks, but nothing else could be done to intervene.

When the traveler reached the summit, it was apparent how long he had sailed. His overalls were un-mended; his black beard collected at his breast, and his tan was leathery. The only thing intact was his velvet-hooded cape.

"I have rarely seen a unicorn. I've heard stories both pure and dreadful about your people. If the dreadful rumors are false, I know you can help me." His eyes and lips looked hungry.