War and Unicorn Lore

The band regrouped with Marko's sailors under mixed circumstances. The war that once was between the unicorns breached the human world and the Alexander dynasty was at stake. Andelko poured a pot of cold water over the fire. He felt hopeful to see the sun make its ascent once more. The campers were quiet except for their nervous energy, but Acacia remained close to Andelko in case good energy rubbed off him. Chiron and Circinus seemed to shut down around the other travelers more so than last night. Acacia felt like someone was watching her, but with reassurance; and this made all the difference, no matter the lack of slumber she received overnight.

Captain Marko came to check up on them and break the demanding silence. She did not think she would ever be joyous to see him again after his quarrel, either sparked by fear or jealousy. Acacia hoped he was not a conceited fellow, for if he was, she would have glowing embarrassment forever garnering or giving his respect.

She wanted to be in charge of her own family disputes, her own war of inheritance, and be the one to take care of Chiron or Circinus no matter how trying to be alone and out of the human world.

Marko broke her train of silence with disturbing news.

"Words, my campers. Have word! Something came to me in the middle of the night. Janus heads away from Medora. Move quicker! Make haste! He is ready for Acropolis and I hope you are too."

Acacia did not want to stir trouble, but after hearing this, she needed a word with Marko.

"Captain, we are not ready. First, tell of your news."

Marko replied, "Janus heads away from Medora. His troops are making new alliances with the wild unicorns and they will soon breach Acropolis."

"Then, this is why we are not ready. Second, tell me where this news came from and I will tell you mine."

"My guards and sailors spoke to Kazimir in Acropolis. We must continue through Medora, stopping in Agora for resupply if there is no rioting, and reach Acropolis."

Really? Overnight? There's something you are hiding from me.

Acacia kept her arms crossed. "And if we don't reach Acropolis in time? We barely had hope of reaching Medora again. I know Janus decided to stay and raise rebellion there but it doesn't make sense to turn around."

"It makes sense when you are Captain. Even if you have to make alliances on the way, it doesn't hurt to resupply." Acacia tried hard to restrain herself.

"Just tell me if your orders came from Daphne."

Marko scratched his beard. "Well, I'm afraid not." He did not want to be the insane, scurvy-ridden creature of a Captain, but whether or not he told Acacia the truth he feared she would not trust him.

"Well, alright, but I'm sure maybe you haven't heard of the firebird." She then took the crimson swirled feather out of her satchel. "Proof!"

"Proof? Tell me about this proof," he laughed, sounding like a priggish version of Kazimir.

She began slowly, afraid of some trap, but more driven to disprove his doubts. "The firebird came in the middle of the night. He came from the flame. Kazimir is worried, it said. The priestess in training, my friend, does not wish the old ways return to unicorn sacrifices. The high priestess and priests expect of him to capture and kill my creatures whether it's for war, retribution, healing, or what, I don't know."

The sun rose in Marko's eyes. He urged Acacia away from the campers where they could discuss in the shade. Some of the travelers have already eyed them in suspicion.