Trapped Home

Chiron carried Acacia and Kazimir up to Jason's estate. The chilly early spring, Andelko wasn't accustomed to, but neither was he to the new land. Acacia thought maybe Andelko's wonder at this more advanced society would keep him behind, but instead, he looked around remarkably at the sky, trees, and house, more like a child than a complete alien collecting samples. It was as if something reminded Andelko of his belonging, something outside his cave or boat.

Judge Pierce gave Acacia permission to investigate Jason's estate for evidence of thievery he had been hoarding. The judges of the lands and the Council of Elders collectively gave Acacia permission for a search and seizure with the keys to Jason's estate but no directions so it was a greater risk, therefore, she brought Kazimir and Andelko along.

Had Judge Pierce been on my side then?

Andelko stood guard outside the gate that posted the entrance to the estate. Acacia and Kazimir stood on the backs of Chiron and Circinus to hobble over the cobblestone wall. The fall to the bottom shot Acacia's foot and Kazimir's hand.

Once Acacia and Kazimir had regained their ground, they tiptoed up the winding hill lined with poplars and topiaries. There was no need to run since the Droughts were away. Mrs. and Mr. Drought were moved to a luxury holding cell temporarily for the subpoena.

One-fourth of a mile up, the pair saw pavement lined with benches and hedge and topiary which seemed to grow. On the other side of the hedge, peculiar street lamps shaped like typical Victorian gentlemen with top hats gazed away from the house. The more they receded toward the home, the more numerous they became, and the more they seemed to be gazing at the party.

The pair moved forward, and with every step, every lamp head lit up. The cackle of the sprinkler turned on making Kazimir jump and Acacia gasp. Acacia held onto Kazimir, motioning him to run, dodging sprinklers, and avoiding the gaze of the lamps. They dodged patio furniture, flower beds, and a fountain until they reached a greenhouse. When they reached the greenhouse, Acacia looked around. The lamp heads were oriented in every which direction. The lamp heads were moving with their steps and their heads stopped when they stopped. Some heads were dimmer while others possessed a piercing glow.

It occurred to Acacia these were spies—either they were cameras with a control room or there was someone or some consciousness inside those lamps. Kazimir saw the fear in her eyes and followed her into the greenhouse. The dimly lit solar lacked any life. The pair settled down to catch their breath while Acacia looked for cameras, even ducking to see if the lamp heads turned off through the foggy, grimy glass.

Kazimir peeked timidly out the door. When he figured the lamp heads finally dimmed, he motioned for Acacia. Together they made a dash toward the first steps entering the house. The stoop seemed like the safest spot on the estate. The woods were teeming with gun wielders like Ondrea and anyone willing to enable a search party as long as there were still advocates for the Drought's. When they thought they were a distance from the lamp posts, Kazimir tested the floorboards and Acacia fiddled with the lock. The court did not offer any of the Alexander's leverage in searching for the deed whether they called it necessary invasion or necessary entry.

However, Acacia was tired of legal involvement and attention. The Land of Jewels gave her a break but not from much else and it wasn't paid leave either. She fiddled with the lock some more and opened the first door slightly. A screen door was the next obstacle. She smelled something sulfuric the wider she opened the door. Kazimir came, peeked through the crack in the door. He held open the outer glass door while she pushed the screen.

A wire had already been tripped. At first, she didn't see the clear fishing wire but followed it so she could draw nearer to the smell. The wire went into a hole in the wall which led to a room. With the key, Acacia tried to rattle the door to the first room but the key only opened the house. As the smell grew stronger, the pair turned around to hear a click. Surely someone hadn't entered. Andelko would've come flapping and ranting with no regard to the strange objects of this world or its spies.