Siljeca

When arriving upon Siljeca's shore, the bay was too rocky to land. The vesper light was starting to fade, and it was getting harder to see the shore, but advantageously, it was harder for watchmen to spot the vessel. The ship bow crunched and scraped aground without the need of an anchor. A wind tossed the boat into shallower waters and everyone had to abandon ship. Acacia was afraid to plunge due to the array of splintered rocks between crags and monoliths, but she knew she had to abandon because the vessel wasn't yet close enough to jump near land. As the ship leaned sideways, her grip on the line loosened from the jetsam and she fell off with the crash, not knowing where Chiron, Circinus, or even the captain was in the wreckage of pottery, supplies, and purple dyes. The tides continued to turn the ship over where she had landed but a rock monolith caught and splintered the starboard before it crushed Acacia at the stern.

The winds howled under the hollow of the fallen ship and drummed and whistled against the rocks. Acacia couldn't hear the cries clearly. It might have been a mixture of whistles and cries, or even the wind, but out of the spray and jetsam on the horizon, a strange cloud flew near them. More of the shadowy clouds appeared, perhaps new kinds of sea dragons, but then she realized it was the rest of the armada. She swam under the fallen starboard and worked against the current while finding the rest of the crew floating on planks and barrels. Some made it to shore trying to free others from undercurrents. Acacia found the elderly women, perhaps a relative of Marko's, and heaved her as much as she could to shore fighting her own sinking weight.

Once ashore, she surveyed the bay and rejoiced with the hope of armada with the other crew but no other boat or fishing vessel lay in sight of Siljeca. Everyone's clothes were stained with purple. While the excitement and joy of their armada faded in her, she remembered her unfinished business with Kazimir. The storm had faded.

Before she could intervene and speak to Captain Marko, Andelko stood in front of her. "It has been a great adventure, adventures...um, but I must be off. And before you say anything, Marko has ordered me to head toward Philippi, but if you want more adventures go ahead of me. It has been a pleasure being your guide."

Acacia tried to get his attention to stay. "I would—had I not obligations with my priest-friend, with Kazimir. I worry about him. Did you see the pale look on Captain Marko's face last afternoon?"

"Indeed, I did think him strange and still strange to-day. If I can send a message to Kazimir, I have the right crew. As soon as the armada comes, I will reunite with my sailorgrooms and sailorwives... though I feel they have abandoned me."

"I don't mean to...frighten you," Acacia said deliberately, "but I think Milko has been following me. I thought I saw a glimpse of him back in Medora. It seems not everyone wants to abandon us."

"Then if he be eyein' us, let him be spyin' on our side. I can feel him inside of me and sometimes I feel he's right beside me. Let him learn a thing or two from me, as I promised Milko."

The shore ran along a rocky outcropping and the outcroppings of a city. Acacia bid Andelko come with him to explore the surroundings of Siljeca.

"Hey, Captain, we're headed off," Acacia spoke to Marko.

"You're what?"

"We're leaving. To explore the port's outside defenses. Can't I be with a friend?" she reasoned. "Especially, when our time might be shattered forever in the face of war."

Marko gave her a puzzled and irritated look. "No one of my ranks chooses to be separated. We have lost all our supplies. You are staying."

"Apologies captain, but we need time alone as we've had a rigorous journey. We will return."