Agora

The forest ascended with the sound of clacking hooves. There was much worry about the fluster they would cause in the new town, the first town Chiron demanded they pass through to find Jason. Despite their worries, the fluster descended into the everyday hustle and bustle of a merchant seaport without the everyday appearance of a small village. The travel companions loosened up, but something still made them uncomfortable. The plebeian town activities receded into the hum of villagers, and then into placid apathy as the companions started nearing the open iron-rod gate. The hushed hums of mercantilism then reached an eerie quiet which led the newly acquainted band to circle the gate in front of the courtyard. It seemed even the fountain came to a whisper; it seemed even the timber stood silent.

Some of the buildings had flat, red roofs, but most buildings were built from mass amounts of shell tapia and corals. The buildings climbed up a precipice where they formed strange hovels in the rock, but some buildings became more elaborate and were created from other sea material like whale bones. Other dwellings were fashioned out of worn sails, but the sails were brighter and more colorful than any exotic bazaar. On the precipice, the tallest building was rounded like a pantheon and many domed cloisters expanded from it in web patterns for miles.

"I can't make any moves." Acacia dared speak.

Circinus hummed, "I don't know whether we should either."

Therefore, Chiron led the expedition back into the descent of the forest.

"Travelers, I am getting old and despite my intimidating height, I can't trust this town anymore. I hope my migratory days won't come to an end, but if they do, I still trust Circinus. I don't even trust the forest. The scented pine, the olive, the elderberry..."

Circinus halted. "Lord Chiron, I have too, aptly trusted the forest. It speaks to me but doesn't lead me; it warns but does not guide as do you. I know you but even you do not know yourself well enough to trust the forest or our future, yet I know you do not fear it. Whether it be blind ignorance, I'm sure it's well not, because our lives are still ahead as the future has taught us as much as the forest."

If only the universities and courts were this wise...

"For sure the thickets are a viable witness, faithful friend, but something made you trust in it. You trusted the woodlands, but usually, you flee in known trouble. I have never fled from you all the years you were my highest messenger."

"Then I will never flee even in this town yet unknown to me."

Acacia gently waited for a pause in their farewells although she had been engaged in their conversation. "If it doesn't sound too absurd, I am ready to go through the town as long as there is any semblance of a clear road or path."

The stallions paced in a broken chain of thought. "Acacia." She froze at the sound of her name. Her heart was the exception. "Circinus knows the right path, but we may need to find another entrance." Chiron ruffled his silky beard. His voice began to gravel, like it was clawing for the ground. "We can jump the fence, but I doubt we can pick enough speed with the sharp climb to the village. Anyway, we would be cantering into the marketplace, destroying every small creature and causing them a ruckus."

"That's one way to place it," she thought, "but we may be able to gain speed once we reach the top of this hill again, and we can still jump the fence to find the shortest way to that monastery." The monastery sparkled white in the midday sun.

"I am old, and I recognize my own gait, but you are a warrior and a messenger. Maybe then I should appoint you my new trainer."

Suddenly, Acacia thought nostalgically about her lead laden bow and arrow. The beauty should win me a battle if ever I need it. Grandmother Daphne handed it over for a reason. This might be the day as I hope it's not.