Secret Trials

News of the masquerade reached the outer fortresses of the passage as the town of Domain tried to reach a verdict. Jurors seemed to be more concerned with the masquerade ball than the actual case. Jason and Anton Drought both became present in the courtroom.

"If no party is substituted, I would like to abstain for Acacia's absence." Jan testified.

The Judge looked at him. "You can't volunteer yourself for another party if the party hasn't spoken in your approval. Their permission for your spokesman-ship is needed as is permission for their absence. We can continue the hearing later, but I'd like to divide the testimonies now without quarrel."

"If you would like my side of the story first then I have plenty to show for. The jury would be surprised at what we've hidden in our absence." As the Judge kept an eye on him, he pulled a small box polished in iridescent shell out of his jacket. Most of the box was falling apart but what Jan showed Judge Danika when he opened the small chest did not force her to bat an eye but instead, look quizzically.

"Mrs., Mr. Drought, could you please release the will's testimony again?"

"Yes, Mr. Mennings made a copy for us." Jason's mother answered. "I'm sure there'll be another day Acacia can appear to us, so I'll repeat, 'The Old World is where we came from and I hope that you use this portal wisely because we ensure you will start anew in this world. It lies at the end of the passage and he who finds the fruit or has it in their possession can get to it'..."

Jason released the lid to reveal an extraordinary but ordinary half-eaten fruit. Danika's expression appeared half annoyed, half confused.

Anton Drought took the stand. His suit contrasted the nicks and scars on his cheeks and hands. "Therefore, Judge Danika, my family claims rightful ownership of the will and in ownership of the will, my son, executor, has right to the deeds and once again this town will be restored."

Jason beamed at his father. "Thank you, and as executor, court, I give the church back to Acacia, I keep the orchard and cellar for Ondrea. But the college, it came to a tough decision, I could hand it to the Correlli's or the Alexander's but since it switched owners so many times, I release it momentarily to my father."

Judge Danika pounded her gavel. "This decision isn't official until all parties are present. Dismissed."

Since there was no need for the crew to hold a secret meeting late since Anton had escaped, everyone noisily climbed below deck.

The captain after having spoken with Andelko, returned to Acacia. "Your foreign pirate will be back. He's not done yet but what is he back for? No, not my ship. I've reached discourse with sailors of Medora and they tell me the man means to cause calamity 'bove the noise, and pillage towns, giving them his name! Howe'er, there is a reason you boarded this vessel. You must find the deeds o' e'ery town and give 'em up ta Daphne."

"Captain, I do not belong aboard this ship. I don't belong anywhere. The reason I came to Acropolis was to get away from what awaited me back home and find my friend who took my will from me. Daphne sent me to find this friend as well, but I had no choice to escape that time. I don't need a war, so I will restore the deeds of every town once I get mine, but only if I prove myself ruler. Anton frightens me, but my friend is near him. What day is it?"

"Why, it's the fourth. Seems to me that you were too late for Daphne's quest, and you need not worry. Oh, they'll be back. But we're in war. I've been telling everybody about the High Warrior. You mustn't worry about whom Daphne forced under exile due to her poor knowledge. Seems she was doin' what was righteous, but same, she was working the wrong plan."