Plight to the Understories

The sun rose long before Andelko, but as the dew began to sweat off his scruffy chin, he awoke. Acacia lay at a deadlock between telling her troupe about the masquerade and keeping it silent until reach of the dunes. She wanted to make the masquerade in time but didn't want to make the impression of searching for guises and masked parties, only to canter off course.

In contradiction, it would be risky not to explain the firebird. She did not trust the spell of fear which oppressed her. The firebird would still be a risk of mentioning for she trusted those instincts of fear far more than her own impulsive advice. Which moral and which instinct to trust played a constant game of War in her mind.

This thought continued its silent discourse, oppressing her even more. Andelko was still groggy, but Circinus, always attentive, could read her intent.

"Whatsoever is wound up in your mind this day?"

"Have you met the firebird?" Chiron pricked up his ears at the mention. She didn't want to release Chiron's temper but did not want her secret silence to oppress her.

He changed his guard. His voice spoke deeper and raspier and was filled with grog. "I haven't heard that name since I've seen the rarity." Chiron asked, "What brings up this legend?"

Acacia remained unsure about the firebird's stance. The allusive creature might want to stay elusive but he or she might have wanted a bright opportunity to expose itself. Either way, it made a great story for the road.

"In the middle of the night, the firebird visited me. I don't know what it wanted but it said I must head to Medora before the next turn of the moon. At the rising of half a fortnight's last sun is when I predict it'll be too late."

Circinus whinnied, "Well that's where we're heading. The firebird came at an opportune time but what brings the urgency?"

"Only a secret messenger. I was told to meet him in the town square, but that's all I mustered from Firebird. It flew swift out of sight." The morning fog thickened and muffled the stories until everybody stood silent.

The last of the velvety saltambique frogs croaked to bed, plopping into the marshes. Acacia and Circinus occasionally glimpsed their short, neon fur. Soon again, the forest plummeted into monoliths and crags. It was a couple days and their journey was waning. They thought it would end and no one would be able to make it to Medora until the unicorns found another hot spring. One hot spring led to another and soon the woods teemed with misty baths.

The group relaxed as Circinus and Andelko talked plans. Some of their gestures seemed uncertain but they appeared confident in their guidance. Then Chiron came up to Acacia and told of the legend of firebirds.

"They hail secret messages. I will not press further if makes it you uncomfortable."

Acacia's voice hummed over the gurgling flow of the springs. She told Chiron of her concern about followers, and of whether the party would be important.

After their conversation, Chiron concluded, "I will not know what the villagers think of us, but we shall be your decadent escorts."

The forest soon thinned out. Andelko was rather sure it led to the desert, but Circinus was concerned about the increasing drought. The hot springs thinned out too.

"On the other side of the cliff lie the ice caves," Circinus warned. But then he optimized his view, "the water will be cool, but these mountain homes, a time back, were volcanoes."

"Some say it's the frontier of the unicorns." Circinus alleged. "I shall know my own homeland, but I fear more for those who live beyond it than those who fear me."