The Alexander Choice

Kazimir kept his tone to a minimal. Last time, a priest whiplashed him for refusing to use poultice from the horn of slayed youngling unicorn.

Ivovan sounded hoarse as if he had not slept in a day. "You don't have to wait to see Acacia return. Janus has captured Acacia's parents and they are heading away from Medora. Medora has fallen. Soon they will reach Acropolis. He sends out more hunting parties for unicorn. Domain, sorry, can't be united. Your training might, however, prove otherwise."

Kazimir wanted to know where he acquired the message, but he set that worry aside for now. His eyebrows furrowed in anger, confusion, or fear, but less for himself for he thought, I am already gone.

"I have someone here for you." By Ivovan's tone, Kazimir did not know whom to expect. Ivovan seemed bizarrely collected.

However, it was too late for Kazimir to collect his thought. He saw a long, sea-worn robe, crinkled eyes, and wispy silvery-blonde hair.

Daphne.

Jason paced the main hall of the Medoran temple. With each pace, with each clench of fist, his rage boiled over. He could no longer contain the jealousy, horrific memories of his exile, and unexpressed wrath. Jason's father was exiled many times, but Domain kept it a secret, although from Acropolis, nothing kept secret. Eventually, Jason and other members of his family were exiled so many times that Daphne became mayor of Domain until her recently assumed death.

It is better to hide who I am than be who I am. What has Daphne done to me? Why won't Acacia take my hand? Is she clueless beyond the point of denial?

Why, of course. I deserve this, so why doesn't Daphne? If I must think this way, my thoughts will deepen. Acacia will come to an end.

His desires turned to envy. Ondrea watched him with reserve. "What rests on your mind, Jason?"

Jason composed himself once more. He had not seen Ondrea come through the temple entryway. Ondrea opened his eyes with concern.

"Go to your room, Ondrea. Leave me at bay."

"I haven't come to serve you, Jason. I have come to help."

Jason tore at his scalp and once again straightened his back. Ondrea said, "If Acacia hasn't found out already, it will be of no use. She has realized too many truths."

Jason sighed. "I'm afraid you are right, but you are of no counsel." Jason gave him a reassuring smile, but Ondrea broke this façade.

In a firmer voice, Ondrea said, "I know you have the prisoners. Release them."

Jason walked up to his friend. "Then I release my throne. You speak with extreme bias. They are as much my family as yours. And why should that matter once they have turned their backs?" He hissed.

Ondrea admitted to himself that Jason was right. Family was not the only thing that bonded them. As Jan tried to storm off, Ondrea caught a corner of his breastplate.

"I do not release you. I choose my side whether I'm on one or not. It would be the right thing to do. How will it benefit us to keep them? Please, what more do they know?"

Jason spoke, "They may know where Acacia is or many other secrets other than plain gossip."

The possibility tore at Ondrea. He worried for his cousin. "I admit; the Alexander's have kept a lot from us, including a fortune."

"Then tomorrow we raid Acropolis. Forget Agora. If we can somehow manage to evade them, then we would have spared us many warriors. If we succeed, I release the prisoners. Gather your unicorns and go."