Chapter 1 ~ The Calm Before The Storm

The moon sunk behind a large, dark, storm cloud that was rapidly covering the night skies of London. Claps of thunder lept through the bustling streets below of people returning home from late shifts at work or equally scantily-clad people going out ready for a night of alcohol and excitement. Winds were whipping harshly through the trees littering London's many parks and gardens, leaving ripped, green leaves in its wake. These strong winds reaching even the higher most apartments of London. 

In one such apartment, a tall, handsome, young man stalked across the cream carpet to a floor-length window standing ajar on the other side of the room. As he drew closer to it, the bitter winter's breeze reached out to caress his face with it's icy fingertips. Closing his electric blue eyes, he felt his onyx coloured hair blowing messily from it's touch. As refreshing as it was, the apartment was getting cold and he had been kicked off of the sofa to stem the flow of cool air. 

With the window closed, he turned back to the living room, the lights and warmth hitting him in the face like a punch. On the sofa that he had just vacated, his two friends were now cuddled up together, laughing and joking about whatever it was they had all been watching. 

"Phil, are you okay?" A boy, a little younger than himself, called across the room from the sofa, where the girl next to him had raised her head to peer inquisitively over. Phil blinked several times to clear his jealous thoughts and swallowed, before smiling at them.

"Yeah, 'course I am." His eyes then fell back onto the boy. "Dan, can I talk to you for a moment?" Trying to keep his voice relaxed, Phil walked casually to the kitchen and motioned for the brown haired boy to follow. 

"Sure." Raising an eyebrow, Dan followed, leaving the girl watching the 10 o'clock news, cuddled up on the sofa in a bundle of blankets. 

For two guys that can't cook, their apartment had a rather swish kitchen. Unusually spotless and organized, they made their way past the immaculate breakfast bar and as soon as they had rounded the corner to where they kept the freezer, Phil stopped and turned back to face Dan.

"This had better be quick, my lady friend is waiting for me in there." The boy made no effort to keep his voice down and winked playfully. His straight brown hair bounced into this face, covering one deep, chocolate eye. 

"Do you realize how hard it is to be civil with you when you act like an utter twat?" Phil whispered, glancing round the corner at the girl on the sofa to ensure that she wasn't listening, which she didn't appear to be, so he turned back around to see Dan holding his hands up in mock surrender.

"Woah, you sure you're okay?" He asked, lowing his hands and laughing as Phil lent against the wall and allowed his eyes to roll up and stare at the ceiling. "Cadance, can you come here a minute?" Dan called out to the girl when Phil remained silent, eyes locked with the light fixture. 

Cadance skipped round the corner and grinned. Her wavy, blonde hair swished behind her, emerald eyes landing on Dan's tall form. She wasn't tall by any means, a measly 5"5', but it didn't affect her high risk lifestyle. Her eyes then lept up to Phil, staring morosely upward. Tentatively, she stepped forward and rested a hand on his shoulder.

"Phil?" At the sweet sound of her harmonious voice, he glanced down at her pretty face, then up to Dan's, who was grinning at him. 

"I'm...I'm going to play Pokemon." He declared, marching off out of the kitchen and across the living room, taking the first door and closing it quietly behind him.

After his bizarre behaviour and abrupt departure, Cadance turned back to Dan, her eyes scanning his wonderfully casual attire; baggy, white top and black jeans. His converse were still in the living room by the sofa where he'd taken them off to watch Paranormal Activity 3. 

"Want to play the cat whiskers game?" She asked brightly, taking his hand and pulling him back to the living room as he grabbed a bag of popcorn from the counter on his way past.

"But what about Phil?" He muttered as they fell laughing to the floor. Cadance glanced over to the door uninterestedly. 

"He's a big boy, he can take care of himself." She grabbed a pen and straddled Dan against the floor. "He'll probably come out in about an hour looking for food and be as bright as a button with a level 69 Samurott." Smiling seductively, she lent in closer, waves of golden hair falling past her shoulders. "Now, hold still."

~*~ 

Phil's P.O.V

I really need to stop overreacting about these things, after all, Dan made her like him ... Albeit unintentionally. I can do the same! It can't be that hard, right? I'll just seduce her with my awkwardness.

Yeah, Phil ... Great plan, you moron. 

With a sigh, I lent across my Totoro teddy and picked up my DS. Keeping the 3D off but the volume on full , I turned it on and closed my eyes to listen to the music. For some reason, it soothed my bad mood. 

"Oh, Totoro," Leaning back against the headboard, I picked up the large, grey plushie and balanced it on my knees. "You think I'm hawt, don't ya?" I put on an accent and grinned. Changing accent, I replied.

"Yes, obviously Phil, don't give up on her. You've got this!" Jumping up off of my bed, I sprinted to the door. Taking a breath, I grabbed the handle. 

"You've got this, Philip." I whispered to myself before twisting and pulling open the door. What met my gaze was most unwelcome...