Chapter 5 ~ Paying Your Bail

Cadance's P.O.V

I lay sprawled across the tiny single bed in the dismally grey cell they'd put me in, staring blankly up at the ceiling lost in thought. I'd been there for hours! Phil had better be on his way already.

Just then, I heard heavy locks clanking inside the huge, metal door. I remained exactly where I was, but my eyes lingered on the doorway, hoping to see someone other than that stupid policeman. I sat bolt upright as soon as I saw the familiar blue eyes and black mop of hair belonging to my friend. 

"Phil!" leaping up, I skipped to him, enveloped him in a hug and kissed his cheek, responding instantly, he wrapped his strong arms around me. 

"Morning Cadance." He muttered, releasing me, taking my hand and walking out of the cell. Okay, so he had all reason to be annoyed, what with it being almost four in the morning, but I'm his friend, so shouldn't he be happy that he could help?

After signing a few papers to bail me out, handing over the cash he had in his wallet, bank details and transferring money, we finally left the station at ten past five, and the sun had started to peer inquisitively over the horizon. Phil had kept silent for ages while we walked away from the station, and it was odd because he was never quiet. I was constantly telling him to shut the fuck up. Finally deciding I couldn't take it anymore, I stopped and just watched as he kept walking, his eyes downcast, hands in his jacket pockets. 

"Phil." I said, crossing my arms across my chest. He stopped but didn't turn around. "Do you want me to thank you? Because you know full well I'm gratef-" I began lazily, but he spun round, and started back toward me.

No one's P.O.V

"What the hell were you playing at getting yourself thrown back in there? Stealing a car? Cadance, you can't even drive! If they hadn't stopped you when they did, you could've, like, died or something!" Phil snapped, reaching her and flailing his arms wildly for emphasis.

"You're so boring, Phil! Why can't you be more like Dan?" Cadance glowered after a moment or so, before stalking off in front.

"Fine, next time you need someone to bail you out of jail, get the police to call him! I'm sure he'd be glad and willing to crawl out of bed at half three to go to a fucking police station to pay to get you out!" He said viciously. When she just kept on walking, he flipped out. Running to catch her, anger was bubbling up in his stomach. Shit was about to go down. He grabbed her arm, pulled her down a side ally and pushed her against a wall.

"Phil, what the hell ar-" He stemmed the flow of her words by pressing his left hand over her mouth. Her eyes widened in shock. 

"Listen to me, Cadance, because I'm only going to say this once. I'm a pretty laid back, casual guy, but I get the feeling that you like pushing your luck when you're with me." She tried to speak, but he pressed his hand harder against her face. "No, you listen." He whispered vindictively. When she nodded, he continued. "Also, I've noticed, you enjoy taking advantage of the fact that you know I wont ever leave you hanging. What the fuck would you have done had I decided not to pay your bail this time, huh? Or just not bothered to come down at all? What the hell would you have done?!" All of a sudden, every ounce of anger Phil had burning in the pit of his stomach evaporated as he saw the look in her eyes, as they slowly filled with tears.

Shock.

Terror.

Fear.

She was afraid of him. In the space of a few minutes, she'd gone from walking all over the guy to being genuinely afraid of what he might do, and Phil saw it as he looked in her green eyes, brimming with tears. 

Phil's P.O.V

What am I doing? She's ... She's actually scared of me. Innocent, placid, friendly me.

Cadance's P.O.V

Oh god, oh god, oh god!

Phil's P.O.V

I'd never hurt her, so why's she afraid? 

Cadance's P.O.V

I can't breathe. I can't breathe. I can't breathe. Oh God, he's going to suffocate me!

No one's P.O.V

He let go and took a few paces back, lifting his hands to his mouth and watching in horror as she gasped for breath, the tears flowing freely from her eyes. What had he just done? He'd completely lost control! 

"I ... I didn't ... Cadance I ..." Phil stuttered, staring at the red mark blossoming on her pale face from how hard he'd pressed. She wiped the tears away with the backs of her hands before pulling at the hem of her shirt.

"I want to go home." She whispered, keeping her eyes locked with the ground in front of her. Feeling it better to not say anything, Phil followed as she began shuffling back to the empty street. It was fortunate that they lived within walking distance from there, for it meant the awkward silence wouldn't be dragged out for a painfully long time. 

But the damage had been done, and she'd probably not forgive him. Well, at least not until he proved he wouldn't hurt her again.

But sadly for him, it's as they say; trust takes years to earn, but mere seconds to shatter.