Chapter 3 ~ Good Morning, Sunshine

Dan's P.O.V

The weak, watery sunlight filtered smoothly through the open window on the other side of my room, bathing my bed, and consequently me, in its soft and subtle warmth. Gradually, as I became more aware of my surroundings, I noticed birds singing from a nearby park - the gentle breeze carrying their harmonic tunes up to my window. But how come I could hear them so clearly? 

Groggily, I lifted one heavy eyelid to investigate, closing it rapidly due to the harsh light streaming in through the large window. Moaning, I tried again with both eyes and sat up, instantly regretting it as a searing pain ricocheted through my skull. 

"Fuck, dammit." I muttered, hissing from the pain coming both from my head and the extreme light now pouring in. Sucking it up, I stood and shuffled over to the window to draw the curtains. However, upon reaching it, I realised it was open and birdsong was floating merrily in. "Oh, shut up!" I called, reaching over and slamming it closed. 

Peering around the now dark room, I realised I needed to pee, so would have to somehow make my way to the door. Deciding against doing it in the dark and possibly tripping and breaking my neck, I drew the curtains open again, blinking rapidly before stumbling to the door. Upon opening it, I saw a bowl full of cornflakes, some milk and a spoon on the breakfast bar. 

My stomach churned uncomfortably, causing my feet to leap into action and carry me to the bathroom...

~*~

The bathroom door slammed, catching the attention of the two playing Call Of Duty: Black Ops. The game was promptly paused and knowing looks passed between them, before they both collapsed into fits of laughter. He had brought it upon himself anyway. 

Feeling as though he should say something, as after all, he was Dan's best friend, Phil stood and smiled at Cadance before trotting childishly over to the bathroom door. Noises which made his stomach turn emanating from inside, but it wasn't anything he'd never done himself. With this kept firmly in mind, he rapped gently on the door. 

"Good morning, Sunshine! How're you feeling this morning? Regretting the vodka yet?" He grinned mischievously as his friends reply was a mere moan of nausea. Slowly, he twisted the door handle and walked inside, closing it behind him and going straight to open the window as wide as it would go. "Well, you look ... Uh ... Manly, with your head in the toilet bowl, chucking up last nights excessive drink." 

"I ... I don't remember much after kissing Cadance. What happened?" He muttered, keeping his head low as so to catch any more vomit. 

"Well, I asked you why you hadn't told me that you loved her, and you tried to avoiding answering me by changing the topic to alcohol. Now, I wasn't having any of it, so then you promptly swallowed almost an entire bottle of straight vodka and spat out, in a very vindictive way might I add, that you didn't love her or even look at her like the young, pretty girl that she is until you were underneath her unbuttoning her shirt and eating her face." Phil said amusedly, picking up a clean, white towel and handing it to the other boy. 

"Oh ... I'm such a moron." Dan growled, taking the towel, thanking Phil and crawling up the wall to stand. 

"That you are, my friend." Phil laughed, playfully punching Dan's arm, which caused him to lose balance and topple back into the wall. "Sorry." He laughed, before turning back around to leave the bathroom. 

"Phil?" Dan asked quickly, stopping his friends exit in its tracks. 

"Yes?" Phil replied, glancing back over to him. He noticed how the boy was staring at the floor deep in thought. After a few seconds, his head snapped up and brown eyes rested back on Phil's face. 

"She ... Did she? .... I mean, did she hear? ... What I said, did she hear it?" Dan stuttered, suddenly feeling a tight knot of nerves in his stomach. He was relieved to see Phil shake his head before leaving the bathroom.

"How's our little ailing one?" Cadance asked with a smirk upon Phil's return. He laughed before sitting back down next to her on the red sofa and picking back up the Xbox controller. 

"Oh, he's not feeling too merry this morning. Meaning he definitely wont be making a video today for his subscribers. Which they wont be happy about, Dan!" He shouted the last part so that Dan would hear. Both Cadance and Phil turned in unison as they heard the door click open behind them. 

"I don't give a flying fuck to be honest, my Danosaurs can merry well suck it up and understand that I'm not feeling my best today." Dan growled, trudging to the kitchen for some water, then trudging into the living room and collapsing dramatically onto a bean bag. 

"It's your own fault." Cadance slid off of the sofa and hugged him. Phil looked away and cleared his throat.

"'I'll go start making dinner." He muttered, getting up and fleeing to the fridge. 

"Dinner? What time is it?" Dan suddenly pipped up, glancing around for a clock only to realize they didn't actually have one hanging up. Something they'd have to fix.

"5 O'clock." Phil shouted from the kitchen, as he pulled a recipe book out from their bookcase to pass some time as it was too early to actually have dinner at that moment. Looking down at the cover, he grinned as he remembered when he's got it. His parents had given it to him as a going away present when he moved to Manchester, and he'd kept it even after he'd moved to London. Well, he couldn't well get rid of a Delia freaking Smith recipe book now.

Back in the other room, he heard Dan curse loudly. "Well, fuck." Regrettably, it pulled his eyes up from the pages and to the living room. Instant mistake, Dan and Cadence were now curled up on the sofa, her head resting lightly on his shoulder, his arm wrapped around hers. 

Getting her to like him, he realized, was going to be harder than it first seemed...