Chapter 13 ~ A Moment Of Indecision

Cadance's P.O.V

Sitting in the small cafe inside the hospital, I realised just how impossible it was to escape the smell of disinfectant. It was disgusting and reminded me oddly of dentists. But that's a long story, and as I sat observing the nurses scribbling on paper and delivering forms, my mind travelled to other things.

Things such as Phil and his attempt at suicide. Pfft, not even death wanted him. Pathetic really, and how everyone crowded around him, acting as though he were the center of their universes, especially Dan. No ... It just wouldn't do.

If only he hadn't failed, then Dan could mope for a month or so with me right beside him for comfort. Ha, that'd be it, then I'd have him played right into the palm of my hand. He'd be too in love with me to even suspect a thing.

Bringing the hot coffee to my lips, I saw in the corner of my eye, someone pull the chair out and sit opposite me. 

"Cadance, why did you have to say that?" His voice was rough from crying, but I could tell exactly who it was. Turning to face him, I smiled sweetly, placing the cup back on its saucer. 

"Because Dan, he's lying. I'd never break you guys up! You're friends, and I'd hate to come between you." I lied, frowning slightly for effect. Why did I not pursue an acting career? 

"Why would he bother lying about it?" Dan narrowed his big, brown eyes at me, as if trying to see my lies. I scoffed.

"He practically said it himself! He loved me, so he wanted me all to himself. But I loved you, so he was jealous. Plain and simple, so actually, the breaking up was him to us, sweetheart." I said silkily, reaching across the small wooden table and taking his hand in my own. 

"What, so he'd accuse you of trying to break apart our friendship because he loved you and couldn't have you? Is that what you're saying?" I nodded, acting upset. He seemed to believe me, so I smiled innocently. 

Dan's P.O.V

I didn't believe her. Phil wouldn't do what he did for no reason, then lie. It just wasn't him, at all! Not that I even knew who he was anymore. But of one thing I was certain ... I believed Phil. The reasons behind my decision remained illusive for a while, but what I did next I never looked back on. 

"When Phil comes home, I want you to go back to Pj's. He's your cousin, his doors are always open for you." My tone was level and carried an air of finality that had her narrowing her emerald eyes, which gradually became less inviting and friendly as the seconds dragged on. 

"Are you kicking me out?" She hissed, drumming her fingers against the table. Normally I would've been nicer about something like this, but in my heart, I felt that nice wouldn't work with her.

"Yes, I've reached the conclusion that I'm going to have to pick between you and Phi-" I began to explain, but she cut across me by standing and slamming her hands against the table.

"Yeah, and you'd pick me!" Her voice carried through the quiet cafe, and I felt several pairs of eyes resting on us. But still, I shrugged them off and continued.

"No, Cadance. I wouldn't. I've made my decision." I calmly stood and watched as she huffed and pursed her lips in anger. She didn't even seem upset, more angry, which made me think that she didn't even care. "I pick him." Then I walked away from her without even glancing back at her throwing a tantrum.

I don't think I ever really did love her, but someone who'd stuck with me through thick and thin. Cadance had brainwashed me into believing that she was all innocent, when in reality, she was a snake. Throwing words around like venom, not caring what the aftermath is. How did I ever convince myself that I loved her?