Chapter 11 ~ Coming To Terms...

Dan's P.O.V

The rain hammered against the large floor length window, sounding like tiny bullets falling from the dark  , night sky and hitting the glass. Listening to it, I was unsure whether it was actually as loud as my mind was telling me it was, or if it was just the alcohol exaggerating the background noise.

Glancing down and to my left, a smile tugged at the corners of my lips. Cadance was curled up beside me, her head resting lightly on my shoulder and blonde waves cascading around her beautiful face. I reached up and brushed it away from her eyes and then lent down and kissed her forehead, inhaling the scent of vanilla in the process. It was perfect, and I couldn't hold back my grin when I heard her giggle. 

"Don't fall asleep, you'll miss the ending where everyone falls in love." I whispered, kissing her softly again, this time on her full, rosy lips as she'd sat up and was facing me. 

"I don't want to watch others fall in love." She smirked back, returning my drunken kiss with one far more sober. "I've got you and that's all the love I'll ever need." Her enticing green eyes twinkled in the dim light of the room, and as she went to get up, I pulled her back down onto the sofa by her wrist before capturing her lips with my own. Her hands found their way up to my hair, while I busied myself with fumbling with the buttons on her shirt, which was actually mine, but looked far better on her. 

My mind was whirring with the need to be as close to her as I could get and in that moment all I could listen to was the alcohol telling me to further my advances. 

Thoughtlessly, once all the buttons were undone, I slid my hands back up to rest on her waist, pulling her off of her knees and closer to me.

It escalated pretty quickly from there, and everything was great until my phone started ringing noisily from the coffee table where I'd put it. Pulling my eyes up and away from messing around with trying to undo a belt, I stared at it illuminating the darkness. My attention only flickered momentarily however, as Cadance whispered in my ear. 

"Would you like some help with the belt, Dan? Phil was right, you don't do drunk as well as most people." Her tinkling giggle brought my eyes back to her, sitting on my lap in her bra. The lapse in activity had calmed the rush I'd been experiencing and allowed me to notice that we'd both somehow lost our shirts. Glancing down, I noticed the lipstick smeared across my bare chest. "Dan?" She muttered, brushing my fringe from my eyes and kissing me. 

Again, my phone rang and this time, I was going to answer it. Reaching over, but still with a drunken, lopsided grin plastered across my face, I picked it up and answered. 

"Hello, danisnotonfire, or maybe he is? Oh, yes indeed, in that way." I said, chuckling at my own joke. There was a choked sob on the other end of the line which caused me to stop almost instantly. 

"Dan? Phil's ... He ... Th-this is y-your fault! ... Fucking Twat ..." Peej's voice was dry and sounded raw. It shocked me into sobriety, and I sat up, staring around for my laser cat top, silently asking Cadance to get off. 

"Peej, what? What's wrong with Phil?" I asked, feeling shaken by his tone. Grabbing my top, I pulled it on and turned the lights on, ignoring Cadance sulking off to her room. 

"He's in the f-fucking hospital, Dan! All b-because he thought th-that he'd lost you as a best f-friend." He sobbed. A wave of panic washed over me as I asked, 

"What happened?" There was a pause, where I heard Chris mutter something about a nurse, and when Peej replied, he was short and sharp with his words. 

"Attempted suicide. Your fault. Get here now." And then the line was dead. Colour drained from my face and I felt my blood run cold.

Attempted suicide?

Phil?

My fault?