Chapter 15 ~ Lover Dearest

1 Week later

Phil's P.O.V

The sun dipped behind the wall of dark storm clouds looming ever closer to London. Rumbles of thunder rattling across the sky, already audible from afar. Any second, raindrops would fall from the skies, slow at first but then it'd pour. 

Slowly, I pulled my gaze away from the heavens turning purple, and turned to walk back inside as I felt the first tiny raindrop graze my cheek. Dan was sitting on the breakfast bar, his laptop balanced precariously on the ledge. 

"What would you do if it fell?" I laughed, genuine happiness surging through my system as he grinned playfully back, causing me to feel oddly warm and ... Loved? Needed? Important? 

"I'd probably swear profusely, see if it was okay, and if it was, promise not to drop it again." Jumping off of the counter, he pranced over and glanced out of the window at the sudden downpour. "Shit, I was supposed to go with Pj to look for some new camera lenses." Sighing, he collapsed over-dramatically, grabbing my hand and pulling me down with him onto the soft carpet. 

"Don't let the weather stop you! We have an umbrella, and I'm sure Pj would thank you." I said in between bursts of laughter. He really did bring out the best in me. 

"Are you sure?" Glancing into his face, I saw his eyes flicker. I knew exactly why of course. Should he go, shouldn't he go? It was clear he didn't trust me with myself, it seemed no one really did. 

"Of course I'm sure." I grinned, leaning in and capturing his lips with my own. "I'll be fine." When still he seemed unsure, I kissed him again, before murmuring "I promise." He grinned and made to stand, dragging me up behind him. 

"Okay, but only because you promised and we wont be long." With that, he ran to the door and pulled on his converse and jacket, before turning back to me, winking, then leaving. 

No sooner had the door clicked behind him, the smile fell from my lips and I felt the cold emptiness washing over me. He was gone. Not permanently, of course, but gone nevertheless. The apartment just seemed so quiet and empty whenever I was alone.

It was in situations like this that the darkest corners of my supposedly brilliant mind came alive and threw ghosts and other terrors at me. There isn't anything brilliant about it. It'd be better off silenced. 

Sighing, I shuffled over to the lounge and was just about to fall back into the insanely comfortable sofa, when I heard music playing softly from somewhere within the apartment. I couldn't recall leaving any radio's or games on, so cautiously I began to follow the sound. Gradually, as I drew closer, the noise no longer sounded like muffled 'sound', but it turned into an actual song. 

Grumbling, I pushed open the door to Dan's room and the horrific, whiny voice attacked my ears. 

"This time, I'm telling you, I'm telling you!

we, are never ever ever, getting back together

you go talk to your friends, talk to my friends, talked to me,

but we, are never-"

"Yeah, okay Taylor, we get it!" I muttered, tapping the screen of a phone that lay seemingly forgotten underneath a pile of papers on Dan's desk, silencing the irritatingly, high-pitched voice. 

The longer I stared at it, the more confused I became ... It wasn't Dan's phone. But somehow, I recognised it, like I'd seen it a thousand times before ... And then it hit me.