A Girls' Day Out

C H A P T E R E I G H T

*|| Kaine's POV ||*

Everyone is entertaining the ladies and so I sit myself down at a table by one of the windows. With all this chattering and squealing, I'm glad I'm more comfortable with the noises.

I work on my homework as I wait for the day to end but, despite my best efforts, I couldnt seem to focus. My mind went back to the beach trip: How Kyoya reacted, how he avoided me during dinner, all similar to the pool incident. Adding to that, I'm told he never reacts like this. There's also what happened in my room when he thought I was asleep. Not to mention his increase in his heart rate. What makes me so special for him to react like this?

My thoughts are interrupted, as the distinctive scent of smokey pine draws near.

"May I help you?" I ask as I try to work on my homework.

"Mind if I join you? Im done with my clients for the day and half an hour is left before we close shop." The, so called, shadow king says.

"Not at all." And he sits across from me, typing and scribbling along. After a few minutes, curiousity got the better of me and I asked," Do you do anything other than write in that journal or type in that laptop?"

"...No..." he pauses before answering. Intrigued, I put my pencil down and lean on the table," I dont believe you."

"Well, believe it." He says without much thought put into it as he continues typing. Entertained, I begin to smile.

"Give me your hand." I demand.

"What?" He says startled. Im very much entertained.

"Give. Me. Your. Hand." I say slowly. And with slight shifting his hand is in mine. As I feel his hand, I carefully take his pulse. Its racing once again.

Pulling away from him, amused, I say,"You paint?" He stays quiet.

"I'm right, arent I?" I ask.

"I couldnt help but notice that your pulse constantly increases and decreases. Why?" He say. Shit. I was too focused taking his pulse i didnt notice him taking mine. I have to play this right.

"Comfirm what I said and I'll answer your question." I bargain.

He sighs in defeat,"How did you know?"

"My mother paints aswell." I say without much thought,"Now, to answer your question," I pause before continuing on," I have severe anxiety."

"Really?" He says fascinated yet surprised,"Why?"

"I gave you too much information already." I chuckle. The click of his laptop closing is heard and I can tell his demeaner changed.

"How is that too much information?" He asks. I stay silent, waiting for him to continue,"This is the first time you mention your mother since I met you. You've been with us for months and yet we know little to nothing about you. You keep everything to yourself." He says agitated.

"That's a bit hypocritical, coming from you. I know very little about you Kyoya. And the only reason why I know what I know is from this little game of ours." I lower my voice with the same amount of rage," Either step up your game or suck it up, because you wont get anything out of me unless you out smart me or figure out my secret." I pause for a moment,"You've said before that you about bebefits and advantages. Well guess what, so am I." Silence falls over us.

"Not that this isnt fun to watch but..."Hikaru interrupts,"It's time to head home." Kaoru finishes his brother's sentence. I take a deep breath and I pack my things.