Prologue

Prologue

The lack of light did not frighten her, when these missteps occurred.  Sixth and more senses in overdrive prickled with the awareness of the unseen presence in this dark place, even before her ears picked up the whisper of a shuffle.  A bony grip closed like a vice around her ankle, icy even through the layers of her jeans and socks.  Reflexively, her leg pulled uselessly against the live trap.

          "Please..."  Although her mind was screaming, her vocal cords whimpered.

          "Such a pathetic word in so many languages."

          The croon sounded from across the blackness, while the being holding her captive remained silent.

          "I'm protected..."

          "Not here."

          "Anywhere..."  Again she could hear the waver in her voice and hated it.

          "No one would be the wiser."

          That much was true.  No one would know she came here.  She herself did not even know where she was, and she would never know even if she got out of here alive.  WHEN she got out of here, she mentally adlibbed as her fingers traced over the unseen door hinges and moved up.

          "Leave her be.  Hear heart is about to explode."

          The door knob was in her palm, and she wrenched it into a turn, hurling herself over the threshold.  Her heart WAS dangerously pattering far over a normal rate, and she remained collapsed on her bedroom floor trying to get her vitals, as well as her mind, under control.

          Laughter and familiar voices drifted from downstairs, into her open bedroom.  Sounds that soothed and calmed.  Voices she knew and loved.

___END PROLOGUE___