CHAPTER 23

"Don't please don't do this--please let him go! You guys will die, do you understand?!"

"Told you we don't care about your trinket of a bracelet Whisper, we don't live by this towns rules."

"HELP US! SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP!"

CHAPTER 23

Allisa checked her watch, but the digits had barely turned since her last check. The straggler vampires were filtering in as this was the last night they would take patients for another three weeks. Tomorrow she would compile the list of no shows for Gabrielle, and Sayer would see those at the Axis Compound under Gabrielle's supervision. Allisa hoped to never have that duty delegated her way.

As the century and a half old vampire she had been attending to took his exit, Allisa holstered his labeled vials in an almost filled lab caddy, disposed of the trash in the hazardous waste container, peeled off her latex gloves, and quickly made notes on the computer sitting atop it’s portable stand. Across the room, Sayer was handing his patient a monthly prescription, and would then go through the same ritual. The room held four chairs for patients, and a wall held locked drawers and cabinets of supplies. A divider which could be used to section off the room was open, allowing the view of several vamps sitting and standing awaiting their turn. Allisa rolled her stool to the next waiting vamp, and called the name of the next in line for the just emptied chair as she did so.

“Dr. Lambert?” For a nano second Allisa thought she had finally flipped. Her name had sounded that exact way once or twice-- and it had not been in a professional setting. She could only have imagined Will’s husky drawl, but a quick swivel confirmed his presence. Standing amidst at least ten vamps he cast an engaging smile her way. Was he insane?! Anger was the first emotion to surface after her initial shock, before she forced it down, struggling to steady her heart and emit zero vibes of emotion.

“Is everything okay? What’s going on?” Maybe concern would be a satisfactory explanation to any vamp that had picked up on her accelerated pulse.

Will thrust out his arm and replied, “The shot you gave me, the affiliation, I think it’s infected or something.”

Now that he was closer, she could smell that he had been drinking, and the vampire’s nose nearest him twitched disdainfully as well. An unsightly red spot contrasted with the tan of his bicep, but the injection site of the shot given almost two weeks ago was not visible any longer.

Sayer sent a curious look, but was too far away to get a good look at Will’s arm. Allisa had never see anyone have anything other than a mild reaction to the injection, and certainly not after this length of time. She wanted Sayer’s take on it, but more strongly ,she wanted to get Will away from this audience of vampires for his own safety.

Quickly leading him to a private examining room, she flung the door closed behind them. Nonchalantly, he perched on the physicians stool, and sent another innocent smile her way. So sexy was that smile, that she actually stumbled and caught her footing, balancing her hand against the wall. With a hiss she demanded “Are you–“ then because of the vamps keen ears, exchanged INSANE for, “doing anything for it? I mean have you treated it in any way?”

As she spoke, she had closed the distance between them, and reached for his arm to take another look at it, but as she did, he instead reached for her, clamping his hands on either side of her waist.

“No, I haven’t,” he planted a kiss on her mid section, “done anything for it.” Cleverly, he changed the meaning of her words. Inching the hem of her scrub top up, until his lips were warm against the skin he had bared, he kissed her again with a swipe of his tongue against sensitive skin, and she had to grab his shoulders to steady herself. “I was hoping you would do something for it.” His lips never lifted as he spoke. Closing her eyes she fought or savored the sensations coursing through her, she wasn’t sure which.