CHAPTER 6

"You two are too much for him anyway"

"Yeah, I think he should share Ollie"

CHAPTER 6

“Ashton,” Will’s voice filtered through her subconsciousness. “A little help down here dude?”

Vaguely Alissa was aware of being carried by Will, and slowly other scenarios seeped into her mind; The crazy, almost drugged, sleep she had fought all though the last flight, and finally succumbed to on the short drive back to Paradise; Will asking her if she could walk from the car to the house; Stumbling, and immediately being hoisted into Will’s arms; The entryway to the house and Will’s grunt as he stepped onto the first step of the stairwell, after having already carried her up the outside stairs.

“If you worked out something besides your fingers on the game controls, you would be in better shape.” Ashton grumbled.

A transfer from Will to Ashton was being made, and she protested groggily “I can walk.”

Ashton ignored her, taking her full weight. Step by step, her head bounced in the crook of his arm. There was something else, a smell, someone was cooking...

Ashton’s curse was loud, and she felt no more stairs only a flying sensation, then she was being dropped not very gently onto a mattress. “Shit holy shit!, shit!” Ashton was still cursing.

“Oh man–“ Apology was laden in Will’s words when she heard him enter the room seconds later. “I forgot about that, I swear. So sorry, I swear–fuck!”

Scuffling and mumbling from Ashton, then he reassured, “No harm no foul.” His voice much calmer now. “But what the shit?!” Then on a quiet chuckle Ashton said, “Talk about repressed memories, that she would buy that, you gotta love the irony there.”

“Well, Will answered, “Actually I gave them to her, but not because of you, I swear. I was looking for a birthday present, and well she had gone nuts over them while we were shopping. I went back for them. Thinking well you know, protection while she is working. The silver in Mexico is so pure. Anyway again, nothing against you I swear dude.”

How could she hear all of this and not even be able to drag her eyes open? Alissa wondered. Her one attempt lasted a second, and in that second all she saw was a medium sized hole that looked like it had been burned in Ashton’s tee shirt. The skin showing through the hole was hairless and appeared freshly scarred over.

“Disgust.” Someone was pulling at her wrist.

“It's only my skin...” Ashton made a surly joke.

“I said I was sorry.” Will repeated and dropped her hand. She felt her fingers slide through something..

“And I’m supposed to believe you when you threw a silver cross at me once?!”

“Thought we were past this.” Will’s weary words resounded of remorse. “I don’t even think of you like that anymore–much.”

“Yeah except for needing my superpowers to carry your girlfriend up the stairs wussy.” Was Ashton’s retort only the word did not begin with a W.

“And I was feeling bad for you all weekend.” Will threw back in irritation. “For having to hole up in that room when you could’ve been on the beach babe watching.”

“And why are you babe watching when you are committed now?”

“Come on, its not like she doesn’t do the same thing. You should’ve seen her scoping the surfers, and Jane too!” Will threw the last name in there to rile Ashton.

“I should check on Jane.” Ashton refused to take the bait, and she heard him take a step toward the door.

“Wait I need to show you something.” Allisa felt her wrist being manipulated again. “What do you make of this? It just broke apart.”

“Really?” Ashton sounded bewildered. “Maybe since she graduated or is eighteen or something a new agreement has to be made?”

“You think?” Will sounded eager.

“No idea, but I guess we will find out soon enough.” Ashton’s voice seemed to fade like he had turned away. “I really should check on Jane.”

“Yeah.” Will agreed, then spoke again. “When do you think they will wake up?”

“Not sure, soon I would think.” His next words were clearer like he had turned back around to face Will. So smooth like ice the question was phrased, “Why are you asking?”

It took a few seconds for Will to respond and then he said indignantly “Not for the reason you are thinking!”

“If you ever hurt her, a week from now, a year from now, whenever, I will hurt you, and that is a promise.”

“Fuckoff Ashton. We haven’t even–“

“I know you haven’t even. Technically”

Dead silence settled, and then Will bit out “That is just perverted, your leech hearing.” Pushing away from her bedside, he further lambasted, “Screw you Ashton, how can we, me and Allisa, how is this supposed to work, always knowing about your freakin animal ears.”

“Trust me. Its my curse not yours, I hate hearing all things all the time ” A couple of more steps faded, then paused as Ashton tossed out some advice. “Garlic. The smell of garlic is so distracting. My hearing should automatically tune out anything on your side of the house.

“Should?! Or will?!” Will scoffed. “Eat it, use it as body oil?” The sarcastic inquiry hung in the air before Will cursed again.

“Just set it in the room or something. For fucksake don’t wear it.” Ashton emphasized Will’s favorite angry F word. “And don’t yell at me, dude. I’m just trying to keep this from being weird.” Ashton was gone, and Jane’s door down the hall clicked closed within a nanosecond.

“Like that is possible.” Will muttered to the empty room.

The mattress dipped with Will’s weight, and she savored the feel of his fingers through her hair. “Allisa,” His whisper implored. “Please wake up, please.”

Was this what a comatose state felt like? Hearing, but not able to respond. Being aggravated with any sound, no matter whose voice interrupted the wonderful blackness of sleep?

“Allisa?” It was much later, she sensed that much. Vaguely, she was aware of the sound of zombie brains being splattered, and for the first time, realized that she must be in Will’s room, and not her own as she had first thought.

When his hot sauce had been picked for first place, he had bought a small flat screen for his room, and on occasion moved the PS3 upstairs. Something hit the bed, the controller she guessed, and his hand went over her forehead. “Babe, this coma crap is flipping me out, almost as bad as that stomach shit in Mexico–Allisa!”

When he left the room, she was sorry to have not made the effort to open her eyes. She loved him and didn't want him to worry but this blank blackness just felt too good. If I wake up I may get a call from Gabrielle or have to go to the lab to treat vampires. A vampire off his meds could corner me. If I wake up I might have to deal with reality. I may have to die, or worse someone I love.

The ability to reason was slowly returning, along with her semi conscious state. On vacation, she had been blissfully ignorant, but now that she was back in Paradise, there was no ignoring the harsh truths of life.

___END CHAPTER 6___