CHAPTER 39

CHAPTER 39

“I was thinking of hanging out at the bar with Jane, so you two can talk.  Then when you want me to come to the table, just text or come get me?”

Allisa jerked her head from the stream of hot water, then winced as shampoo streamed into her eyes.  Rinsing a hand, she swiped her lashes with her fingers, but didn't wait for the burning to subside before firmly replying, “Do not leave me alone with him.”

Will was leaning onto the vanity, peering into the fogless mirror, with a disposable razor to his jaw, and he twisted his gaze to her.  Seeing her squinting eyes, he passed over a clean dry wash cloth before answering, “I won't then.  I was just checking.  Because we have been to your parents a few times, and if he still wants to meet up with you somewhere, then  he probably wants to see you alone.”

Her eyes still felt scratchy, but at least they weren't on fire, and now she glanced through the space, where the shower curtain was not quite meeting the tile, at him.  A towel was slung about his waist, his hair was hanging in a shaggy wet disarray around his face, and his attention was again on his shaving.

“Don't leave me alone.”  Stubbornly, she repeated, and carefully began to rinse again.

“I'm not talking about alone, alone.  I wouldn't do that, even if he is your brother.  I'm just saying I could sit at the bar for a bit.”

“No.”  Tilting the conditioner bottle, she began to slick it into her tresses, and when he didn't answer, she eyed him, well aware of his obstinate streak when he thought he knew best.  Deciding to protect her best interest, she flung open the curtain and almost laughed as he beheld her dripping birthday suit.  “I mean it Will.  If you want this, in the near future, do not go against me on, this.”

“Have I told you how much I like that skirt?”  Will teased, an hour later, as she ungracefully made her exit from the car.  Her legs were everywhere, as she had somehow wobbled on her heels and fallen back into the seat.  Putting a hand out, he aided with a pull, then continued the momentum, even when she was standing, so that she was against his chest.

“Not in the last five minutes,”  she seductively drawled, mesmerized as usual by his eyes, and the slight part of his lips.

“Well Mrs. Gillis, I do like that skirt.”  While emphasizing the verb, he ran his fingertips down the object of that husky compliment.

“You know, if you keep calling me that, I won't have anything to look forward to when we do get married.”  It was her turn to put emphasis on the same word, 'do', and she flashed a taunting smile as she did.

“Do not even get me started on how wrong you are about that.” The car door had been pushed closed, and now he cocked his head, listening for the click of the lock as they walked away.  “But from now on, you are Dr. Lambert until you are not.”  Flashing a sexy smile, he pulled open the door to The Viper Club.  Talk ceased while their hands were stamped, and they were shown to a table, and their order taken.

“Al!”  Alex waved from a nearby table, and with a friendly grin, wove around the tables to curve her into a quick hug. 

“Hey,”  She returned the greeting and smile, but couldn't do more than endure the embrace for the second that it lasted.  Quickly, they decided to occupy her table, and when he brought his drink over, she asked, “So how is the packing going?”

“The house is a maze of boxes.  Not much left except for the movers to take it.”  Alex drained his beer, and from the looks of the empty bottles the waitress cleared from his table, he must have arrived at least an hour prior to her and Will.  “When will you two be moving in?”