CHAPTER 30

"No!  We are not leaving!  Just leave us alone!"

"Put that phone away Whisper."

CHAPTER 30

“I had a dream.”  Allisa breezed into Sayer's office the next morning, too excited to put up with the chip on his shoulder.  The doctor was just hanging up his white coat, and flipping on his computer.  To her surprise, he responded as if yesterday had been a normal day, and not some awkward existence between the two of them.

“That one day even the state of Mississippi, a desert state, sweltering with the heat of injustice and oppression  will be transformed?”

“Only you would pick that line out.”  Allisa retorted, momentarily diverted from her revelation.  Of the dream section of the Martin Luther King Jr speech, that was statistically, likely the least quoted.

Seemingly back to his normal self, he cracked a smile and mumbled something about coffee.

Allisa moved aside for him as he set up his coffeemaker and spoke to his back.  “Last night it came to me.  We are treating a reaction, causing a different reaction, then trying to regulate the new reaction.  Instead of stimulating the transmitter, block the transporter.”

Instead of flooding the cell with the enzyme then trying to tell it how much of that enzyme to keep, simply block it from ridding itself of the enzyme and cause a controlled buildup. The moment her concept registered, he went still, then turned, astounded. 

“I don't understand.”  Swaying back in his chair, hands behind his head, he viewed the results of the last couple of hours.  Results that looked promising, at least in the simulation program they had been running.  Allisa raised her brows, and he only said, “Let's get some lunch.”

“Why would you be working both sides of this?”  The question had been saved for the sunny park area outside. 

“What do you mean?”  Allisa peered  speculatively at Sayer over her cup.  The bright sunny local for this conversation had her curiosity roused. 

“The chemical makeup of the compound I saw yesterday on your computer.  After seeing that, I just mean, I am more than surprised that you are sharing a viable resolution to something totally diametric!”

Over the years, she had become accustomed to his odd vocabulary, and the way he would use unusual words along side the simplest.   Much the same way he had pulled a little quoted paragraph from a famous speech this morning to use in conjunction with her famous part.  But what he was actually speaking of sometimes, especially right now, was often an enigma.  Why would he think that just because she was experimenting with using their findings in a finite way, that she would withhold information on the way it was intended to be used, an infinite one.

Stalling, she took another sip at her straw.  Telling Will about Ashton's wishes was one thing, but she could not believe she had actually accidentally betrayed that trust to Sayer.  What kind of idiot left that type of information on their laptop and left the room?!  As the particular morning replayed  painfully in her mind, the confusion cleared.  She had not been totally stupid.  The simulation did not have Ashton's name on it anywhere.  That being so, it is possible that Sayer thought that her intent was to hurt a mass amount instead of help just one.  After all, she had used her knowledge for evil once, to exterminate a few bad vampires.  But she would never...

“I don't think I like what you are thinking.  You thought that what you saw on my computer was some diabolical scheme?!  You know some may actually want to see if there is a light at the end of the tunnel.”