CHAPTER 7

"Will keep walking we are practically in the door--"

"Aw where you going sweetheart, Miss Mystery hold up!"

CHAPTER 7

Paradise was anything but. Legend had it that the town founders, in a disagreement about where to settle, decided in a dice game between the several choices based on the earths polarity.

The sunny streets of south Louisiana would not seem a good choice for a colony of vampires with a lethal sun allergy, but the race had been around long enough to know the ancient secrets of science, and the methodology of math, and how to utilize these equations, theorems and idioms. There was no real vampire magic, just a deep understanding of everything about the earth on which they walked; and the crust that included Paradise was one of the 'magic' areas on earth.

Letting herself fall deeper into the semi conscious state, her mind drifted back over Paradise as she now knew it.

Allisa's family had moved to Paradise a few months after her father, Henry Lambert, Doctorate of Philosophy, had received a letter in the mail. The offer of a fellowship with the local college, and the generous salary that came with it, along with the idea of raising their child in a small town atmosphere was too much to pass up. Especially since their son had been in trouble from pre teen years on, in the larger city that they lived in, and was presently doing a seven year stint for armed burglary.

Allisa had always been called a child prodigy, and in her homeschooling, had skipped through more than a few grades, testing at the high school level in most subjects at twelve. With her father being so close, there were few concerns with her beginning college at the tender age of thirteen,

Dr. Black, Director of Sciences, had taken a special interest in Allisa from the very first week that she was placed in his Biophysics class due to a “scheduling error.” Allisa had remained in the class, and had begun to remain after class, under his tutelage.

Once she had shown an understanding for quantum electrodynamics and how the Ternary system fit into the physics of the universe, she had met Gabrielle, the Dean of the institution.

“I am hearing wonderful things about you.” The lovely young woman had held out her hand in introduction, then asked, “Are you enjoying your studies with Caleb, um Dr. Black?”

“Very much so.”

“And there is so much more to learn.” Dr. Black had winked conspiratorially. “Allisa's aptitude is refreshing. We have not had a student like her come though here in decades.”

Decades? Allysa mind had begun processing at triple time and she had simply stared at the two of them, neither who appeared older than twenty something.

“Allisa, what we want to propose, is to lighten your load of some of the more insignificant courses, so that you can concentrate on the sciences and maths that Dr. Black has been teaching you.”

At that time, she had been excited, wanting to know more of things she had only glimpsed since coming to Paradise. At that time, she had no inkling of a vampire race, had been eagerly learning things most humans only guessed at, under the instruction of a scientist that she later found out was 233 years old. She had agreed to immerse herself in alternative science and math theories, any and all that he deemed necessary for her education.

It had been at that time that Gabrielle had snapped the gold bracelet onto her wrist, and Allisa had looked up confused.

“Beautiful, is it not? It is a symbol, that you have agreed to what we just discussed. That you are bound to our agreement, until your graduation from the university.” Gabrielle had gently smiled.