27. Dark Waters

Again I woke up in a hospital.
But my mind was clearer than ever.

Did people die?
How did I survive?
Where is Lisa?

„Chanyeol."
The voice, it was so familiar and he was the first person to greet me after all this time.
„Sehun-ah", my mouth was dry and I felt like I was close to dying.
„What happened?" he asked.
A bitter chuckle escaped my dry throat.
„I wish I knew."

„Where is Lisa."
It was a question, yet he was so monotone when he spoke those words.
„She is gone."

He looked straight into my eyes, which seemed like an eternity, until he looked to the ground and seemed to be at loss of words. But his ever calm self changed quickly.
„What do you mean, she's gone? There must be something you know!"
„She returned to the sea."
Even though my body was so dried out and nothing but bitterness and sadness filled me, I felt like crying.But there were no tears, I was just dried out and had trouble breathing.
I felt his stare on me, despite the arguments we had, Sehun sat on my bed and patted my back.
I felt his sadness as well.

Lisa was gone.
And the both of us didn't know if she would ever return.

"So, how are you feeling bro?"
"Dry. Tired."
Sehun handed me a bottle of water out of a plastic bag and took a quick look at his wristwatch.
"I bet you want to know why you're here." He said.
"Car accident, no?"
He told me how badly harmed I was and that I was out for four days.

I asked him about everything. If the tsunami hit the coast, if everyone was unharmed.
He assured me that nobody got hurt, not even the driver of the truck with which I collided with.
The tsunami didn't even hit the coast, it was a wonder nobody could explain.
I wonder if Lisa was alright, if it was because of her returning to the sea.
She told me her father was angry, so was she like the princess? Was her dad something like the god of the ocean?
Days went by. Days turned into months and the months into one year.
I didn't move to Seoul yet, but my family was awaiting me in one month. It was already September. The weather was still hot, some days it would rain and some times it was cold.
But none of that mattered to me in the slightest.
I woke up to the sound of the waves, the sun was rising, and I got up.
I feed Toben and changed his water.
I washed my face, drank a bottle of water before I jogged at the beach. I ran my usual 4 kilometres each morning, hoping to find Lisa the same way we met.
When I came back I'd take a shower, make my coffee and turn on the laptop to see how Park Group Cooperations were doing and my emails.
After that I'd get ready to go to University and today was my last day.
I knew there wouldn't be anyone coming, probably the usual bouquet of flowers sent from my family.
Old classmates would ask me over to take pictures, they would also ask me if I want to join them afterwards for dinner or something like that, but as usual I decline.

The ceremony took a few hours, but I didn't even pay attention when they called out my name to pick up my diploma.
I walked on the stage and shook hands with the principal as I received my diploma.

Nobody was here.

Once the ceremony was over I walked out last, I hated to walk with so many people at the same time.
I didn't expect to have anyone there. Since the car accident, I cut almost everyone out of my life. Not because I hated them, but everyone was wondering where Lisa went to, they asked me all the time and it was so painful to be reminded that she was gone.
I only let Baek, Kai and Sehun in. They were the only ones I talked to from time to time.
I didn't even tell them the date of my graduation, so I didn't expect them at all.
The place in front of the university was full with people, people who came to congratulate their relatives, boyfriends, girlfriends...
It made me wish that she was here too.