CHAPTER 22: How Could She?!?

STELLA

Time was running out and it wasn't looking too good for Zane. After tiring myself out from all the crying I was doing after watching my brother slowly fading away, Kobey took me to bed while we left Zane and Midnight in their room. 

I was really happy for my brother had finally found someone that I actually liked and could see myself becoming great friends with. However, then THIS happened. 

My brother has always been strong. It's a shame though that he has spent the past several years, blaming himself for our mother's death when it wasn't his fault at all. 

I hadn't noticed that I had been brushing my hair for a few minutes while thinking about when Zane and I were kids, until I heard Kobey get my attention and I looked at him through the mirror. 

"Baby?" He asks. 

"Yeah?" I reply as I quickly snap back to the present. 

"Are you okay?" He asks worried. 

"Yeah. I'm fine." I force a small smile. 

"You sure? Cause you've been brushing your hair for a few minutes nonstop." He chuckles a little bit. 

"I'm sure, love." I smile before getting up and turning to walk up to him as I wrap my arms around his neck and we kiss each other. 

"Baby I know that you're worried about your brother, but you know him, he'll get better. Especially with Midnight as his mate." He tries to assure me as he gently strokes my hair. 

"I just feel helpless for the first time in my life." I confess. 

"What do you mean?" He asks as he pulls back a little and looks into my eyes. 

"Ever since Zane and I were little we've always been there for each other and helped the other out. But this is the first time where I can't do anything to help him. And the more I look at him lying there, just barely holding on for his life, I can't help but feel as though I should be doing something to help him get better, but I don't know how." 

"Shhh. It's okay Stella. Just having him hear your voice and being there for him by his side, that's more than enough." He tries and comforts me. 

"I don't know." I doubted. 

"Come on, let's go to bed. Then when we wake up, we'll try and think of something, okay?" He suggests. 

"Okay." I smile before kissing him on the lips and we fall asleep in each other's arms. 

*****************************************

The Next Day

After waking up this morning, I went to check on Zane and noticed that Midnight wasn't there. Which was weird cause she always is sleeping next to him. Maybe she's getting breakfast. 

So I leave to head in the kitchen to get myself some coffee and maybe sit down with Midnight and Kobey about what we're gonna do to try and save Zane. 

Except as soon as I walked into the kitchen, I saw Kobey, a few pack members along with my father all lowly talking to each other until they hear me walk in and turn around to look at me. 

"What's going on?" I asked feeling a little worried. 

"Midnight left early this morning, before any of us got up." Kobey tells me. 

"What? Did she say where?" 

I see Kobey looking at my dad for a second and then back at me. 

"Your dad told her about the witch that injected Midnight's dad's body with venom." He tells me. 

"What? Why would you do that? Why the hell would you send her to that god awful witches house? You know she doesn't care much for wolves and will kill Midnight on the spot." I angrily tell him. 

"I know I made a mistake in agreeing to her going by herself but I have not slept all night long and have decided to send a few of you guys to go and help her." My dad says apologetically. 

"Well, if she had left before any of us woke up, she's got to have at least several miles on us. So if we leave here in the next ten minutes, we could probably catch up to her just before she get's to the witch's house." 

"Alright. Then we'll leave in ten." Kobey says and the few members that were there had gone to get ready while Kobey and I headed upstairs to get ready as well. 

This witch is so powerful and has been alive for two hundred years that has built the reputation of just how evil she can be on 'unwanted' visitors. 

I have to save Midnight. I have to bring her back to my brother. She is after all, my future sister-in-law. 

After walking several miles, we could tell we were getting closer as we could smell Midnight's scent and continued following it until finally, we all stopped and crouched behind bushes as we saw the witch's house several feet in front of us. 

"Alright, so here's the plan. We obviously all know that Midnight's in there and that we need to save her." I began. 

"Right. So you two guard the back doors.." Kobey says as he points to the two Delta's who then quietly run towards the back door while he sends the last two to guard the rest of the house while me and him stayed there for a moment, thinking on how we were going to go inside to get Midnight without the witch knowing. 

It didn't take long however, to decide, since we suddenly heard what sounded like Midnight screaming. 

So without any hesitation, we practically both leaped out of the bushes and knocked down the door and both Kobey and I saw a sight neither one of us expected. In fact, I couldn't believe what I saw.........That bitch was trying to kill her?!!

Next chapter will be posted soon! :);)

Hmmm, I wonder what they saw. Hopefully Midnight is okay.......