04 ✧ 정호석

Jung Hoseok's POV

"Oh, so your first encounter with Areum was... pretty eventful?" Mr. Han asked, and I nodded.
"I made a promise to her mum that day." I told him. "She was so distraught that her child was being taken away from her. I could see the sacrifices she was making so her child could be happy; her hair was tatted, clothes were stained, but her daughter wore clean clothes and had beautiful hair."

"Plus the medical bill must have been awfully large," I added. "It was no wonder she was suffering." I felt a small lump in my throat, but fought back the urge to cry. "I could never forget the promise I made her, I promised her I'd raise her child well, but look at me now..."

✧ ✧ ✧ ✧

I was in the counselling room, sorting out things with the school's councillor after being called in over a matter concerning some kids from the orphanage. Of course, it didn't come to much of a surprise when I found out Areum was involved.

When we first take children in it's a mandatory condition of mine to do a little background research on who the children are, where they came from, what their parents were like, etcetera. When I did this for Areum I discovered that her parents were indeed 'Miss Jeon' - who goes by the name of Minji - and Mr. Park Jimin who was the man around my age who came to visit that one day.

From what I discovered Jimin is the biological father, but hardly ever saw Areum - only a couple of times in her life. The person who raised her like a father was her step-uncle, Mr. Jeon Jungkook, who is in prison at the moment for dealing drugs and for assault on Areum herself. I remember her having slight breathing difficulties when she came in and it was because of an incident that broke a few of her ribs. Mr. Jeon is also nearly finishing his sentence and will actually be released very soon. How do I know this? Well, I may or may not have gone to visit Mr. Jeon in prison.

I like knowing what the parents are like in order to get an idea of what the child will be like when they grow up, so I know what's best for them when I raise them. With Areum, her mother was outgoing, confident and short-tempered. Her father was persistent, caring and always fought for what he wanted. These pieced together turned Areum into a nightmare in places like school, where she was never scared of the teachers and always kicks off at the smallest thing.

It's why I'm here today.

"Your god damn orphans were at it again." The councillor slouched back in his seat. "I swear, it's always the orphans. What is wrong with them?"
"It's not always the orphans." I chuckled, trying to lighten the mood. "There are just a lot of them at this school, that's all."
"Well then there's also a lot of troublemakers at this school." He retorted.

"So, three children are outside: Jeon Areum, Na Jaemin and Bae Jinyoung. The two boys got into a fight after Jinyoung was 'intimidating' Areum." The councillor looked up at me before picking up a piece of paper, holding it up for me to see. "This is a witness statement." He began. "This girl was sat next to Na Jaemin in the Literature class." He cleared his throat, looking down at the paper.

"Areum and Jinyoung were arguing because Jinyoung called her a 'whore' so the two stood up and Areum pushed Jinyoung into a table. Jinyoung then backed Areum up against the wall in attempts to intimidate her when Jaemin held him back. Jinyoung then punched Jaemin and Jaemin punched back, causing a fight. They were eventually stopped by some of the class who restrained them." The man then looked back up at me, and I couldn't say anything.