09 ✧ 나재민

Na Jaemin's POV

We decided to run to the park, hiding in the corner where pot smokers go at night so Areum could explain everything. The adrenaline rush started to die down, and the realisation of what we we're doing began to settle in. Fuck me, we're actually running away.

"Okay," Mark took a deep breath as we all collapsed on the floor, gasping for air after running a long way. "What the hell is going on Areum?" We all sat down on the ground in a circle, shrugging our jackets over our shoulders since it was cold. Areum sighed deeply, taking her time to think before speaking. Her tear-stained face glowed a slight tinge of red since it was cold outside.

"Last night," She began. "Jaemin and I went outside to get some air when we met a strange guy called Joon." I see. She's telling them the whole story. "He told us to deliver this strange package to an address two minutes away," she stopped, looking around. Everyone was waiting in anticipation for what she was about to say. "And he handed me a million won."

"Oh my god." The guys gasped, eyes wide. "Do you still have it?" Haechan glanced between the two of us, and she reached into the pocket of my jacket that she was wearing, the same one from last night. She pulled out the wad of notes, but only slightly, causing the guys to gasp again.
"What was in the package that was worth that much?" Chenle asked, eyes bulging out of his sockets.
"That's the thing." I sighed. "We had no clue at the time. We just went along and did it. It wasn't until we got there, and the guy started unpacking it in front of us did we realise that.."

"It was heroin." Areum spoke up after noticing my hesitations. The guys were speechless.
"Oh my god." Jisung whispered.
"You'll go to prison!" Jeno whisper-yelled.
"W-why did you do that?" Renjun asked. "If a strange guy gives you that much money for a package that you don't know the contents of why would you associate yourselves with it?"
"We didn't know what we were doing." Areum told him. "I was drunk. Jaemin wasn't thinking. It happens."

"So what are we gonna do?" Chenle asked. "Should we go back and just explain the situation to them?"
"There's no point in that." Mark piped up. "Dealing Class A drugs is a prison sentence of 14 years for adults. I imagine it'll be less for kids, but then you have to remember that Areum was drunk, which is also illegal."
"The orphanage would get in a lot of trouble too." Jeno added. "Which means-"
"Hoseok could get fired." Areum butted in. "He's responsible for the eight of us, and we've let him down. We can't go back there."

"So what should we do?" Renjun sighed. "We don't have anywhere to go. Where would we sleep at night?"
"We could rent a room somewhere?" I suggested.
"That sounds like a bad idea." Jeno told me. "The police will be looking for us, planting ourselves in a room would be easy work for them."
"And rent prices are insanely high nowadays." Areum added. "We'd only be able to stay a few weeks tops with what we have, and that's not including food."

"How long are we planning to stay away?" Mark asked after a short hesitation.
"Well," Areum sighed. "However long we last."
"So, forever?" Chenle gulped; everyone was on edge and scared.
"Probably." Renjun's voice was quiet, and everyone became silent, succumbing to their own thoughts.

There we sat in silence; the eight of us not knowing what to do. We can't go back to the orphanage or Areum and I will go to prison. We really are screwed. We'll end up having to leave town, sleep on the streets, do illegal jobs to earn money so we can eat...

"I have an idea." Jisung spoke up after a long time. "What if we buy a motorhome?"
"A motorhome?" Haechan asked.
"Think about it." Jisung began. "We're on the run, so having a moving home is ideal, plus Mark has his license so we're not doing anything illegal."
"He has a point." Mark added. "I can drive one of those."