Eyes Deceived (Chapter 2)

Ahhh! Thank you all for the support! It gave me inspiration to continue the story! Hopefully there will be more stories like these to come! - Ren
-----

Blah.. Blah.. Blah. It's 6:45 AM. Here I am, up early and Dennis is already bitching. I swear to God, I love my brother.. but there comes a time where when a womam wakes up and processing her life decisions. Ring, Ring, Im sorry Y/N can't be in service at the moment. Please leave a message after the beep. *Beep*

"Y/N, Are you even listening to me?!" Dennis looked at me, barely putting up his gear and you can already tell how furious he was. Long story short, he found my letter that I was accepted into the Shawshank Prison. Not to mention he is literally waving it as he is yelling like a literal mad man. "How can you possibly send an application to the prison, let alone get accepted immediately?!" Dennis huffed and stopped pacing back and forth. Making him put his right free-hand to the bridge of his nose, pinching it. You could hear him sighing through his nose. "Look, Y/N. It's bad enough that Im working in that shithole with what you know what goes behind those closed doors. I already have enough on my plate as it is. But you being so generous adding your load onto my plate is starting to really piss me off. "

"I know. I know. " I sighed and leaned forward onto the kitchen table, my index and thumb played with the loose string of the fabric. Not going to lie, Ive known this song and dance before. Always getting my brother into trouble. But not this time.. I want to prove to him that I can change. "You know finding a job here is hard enough as it is. We need to money too and you know this. "

I said, looking up into his eyes. He knows that I try and that I dont always succeed. He knows everything that goes on with me. But he also knows that I can't depend on him forever.. "Now don't give me that look. "

"What look?" I raised my brow and Dennis chuckled and shaked his head. He sighed and looked over to the coffee maker. Making his way to fix himself a cup. "That look. Fine, but it shit goes down South. I'm taking you out of there. Understand? " I blinked to his agreement but showed him as small smile once he turned around. "Gotcha."

After we had our breakfast and made our way to the car. It seems the rain had calmed down, but it was sprinkling. Closing our doors and buckling ourselves in, I leaned to turn on the heater as Dennis started up the car. The sound of the radio was static, frowning with annoyance. I turned the tiny knob to switch channels and pressed the buttons with the common stations. Nothing but static. I groaned and leaned back to my seat as Dennis turned off the radio. Lookong out my window, seeing the same parts of the town passing by. You can see a few people strolling down with their umbrellas towards their destination. It was mostly the elderly though.

"They might make you work today. Our previous nurse went missing, so I want you to-" I cut him off. "Stay close where I can see you. I know. " Dennis kept his attention to the road but gave me a small nod. The view of Shawshank Prison was getting closer and closer. Why do I have this strange feeling in my stomach.. It never felt that before from the times I come and visit. But today was very different. As the forest trees were passing by, we got closer to the electrocuted barbed-wire fence. Towards the opening, there was a bootg with a guard inside. My brother got closer and stopped and rolled down his window.

"What's up Denny boy?" An older man looked out through his own window as Dennis pulls out his card and said. "Ah, nothing much. Going to show my kid sister here the ropes here. " The older man switched his vision from my brother to me as he squinted slightly. He gives me a smile, I returned the gesture as he spoke. "Ah, Welcome to Shawshank Prison. Hope you enjoy your stay. " He gives the card back to Dennis and opened the gates.

Rolling his window up, Dennis began to drive inside the area and parked closer to the front office doors. "Alright. I guess I'll take you to the big guns. At least have you talking and get you set for today. " He says as he turned off the car, his expression went the same as yesterday. I looked and sighed, placing my hand on his. "Everything is going to be alright. Come on, don't make me get bad luck on my first day." I joked. Dennis looked at my hand then at me and he cracked out a low chuckle. "This place is always full of bad luck. I guess we need some good luck for a change. " He wraps his pinky around mine and I give him a cheeky grin. "We pinky swore that we'll always be there to protect each other. No matter what. " Dennis nods and hums as we both let go and left the car. I pulled my hoodie closer to me, feeling the cold breeze flow through the rain. The prison seemed very large but in a way.. those voices are trying to break free from my guard once I set my eyes onto the building. Ringing and whispering, I scrunched my brows together as I tilted my head to the side.

"Y/N?" I suddenly hear Dennis's voice snapped me out of it. His expression changed to a mild of worry. "You alright?" I slowly nod and gave him a small smile. "Let's go Cease the Day. " Dennis returned the smile and we both made our way inside the Warden's Office. Everything seemed dull inside. Hardly anything is moving, I can't help but feel so much negativity inside. Ive never been inside of this place, everything seemed new to me. Not to mention that horrible gut feeling returned to me as we made our way through the halls. Seeing the lettering of Warden-

But the rest seemed to be scratched off as if someone else's name was on there. Dennis opened the door and I went inside, closing the door behind both of us. Looking in front of me was a woman. She seems very stuck up to me, I thought. But her attention was on those stacks of papers, filling them out with nonsense I suppose. But she didn't give us her attention until Dennis coughed. Her expression seemed unfazed as she looked up and she raises up in her seat and said. "Oh hello, do you need something? If it's something really important, I'm afraid you would have to make an appointment ahead of time. As it clearly sees that I'm busy. " She said with a harsh yet calmed tone. I looked at my brother as he gave me a look to speak. I turned my attention back to the Warden.

"Actually. I'm here because I was accepted to work here as a part-time nurse. I've gotten the letter of your approval also. " Warden looked at me as her expression changed to pleased. "Oh! Wonderful, you are Ms. Zalewski correct?" She reached out her hand as I took it and we shook. "Yes, I was told to come in as soon as possible. " Warden hummed and pulled her hand back as she makes her way around the desk towards me. "Yes, we've recently have a new prisoner that needs constant medical attention. I must say, I thought you would be more.. Formal. " She said as she looked at me, up and down. I was wearing a simple black hoodie with a pair of faded blue jeans and converse shoes. I gulped and nodded slowly. "Forgive me. This is my first time working for this profession.. I am experienced but I dont usually have the required attire for it. " Dennis mentally scoffed at the Warden for shutting me down of my clothing. She nods and then pulls out a file.

"Anyhow, these are the files you will be filling out of the patient. I need you to write down everything about him. Changes in behavior or such. Understand? " I blinked and held the thick file in my hands and looked over to Dennis. "Im sure Mr. Zalewski will take you to the medical department, yes?" Dennis replied.

"Yes ma'am. " Warden sheds a small smile and went back to seating to her desk. "Good, off you both go. Oh and Ms. Zalewski. " I stopped at the door to look back. "Welcome to Shawshank Prison. " She says as I nod then followed my brother into the deeper parts of this prison.

Gently clenching onto the file.. I have no idea what's going to be in store once I enter those doors..