Chapter Ten

Upon waking up, Addie felt a strange knot of anticipation in her stomach that she couldn't place the reasoning to. She slipped out of the guest bed and stretched before grabbing clothes for her shower.

While dressing, there was a knock on the guest bedroom door, "Will you be ready in like fifteen minutes, Adeline?"

Addie smiled at the name she normally would've cringed at, and then the realization of the reasoning behind her "anticipation" knot hit her: today was technically the first day that she had a girlfriend: Tami.

"Uh, y-yeah," she mumbled out a distracted reply. She tried again, clearing her throat, "Yeah, maybe twenty," she thought that she still sounded just a little bit shaky.

Dressing fast, Addie threw her hair up into a messy bun and grabbed her school things, which surprisingly, had survived the weekend.

*****

"Are you alright, love?" Tami's voice startled Addie out of her daze in the car at a red light.

"What-" she spun, "Ye-yeah, why wouldn't I be?" Addie smiled.

""Well, you're awfully quiet," Tami said, turning her attention back tot he road when the light changed.

"Just a lot on my mind," Addie answered as they pulled into the parking lot of their school.

Tami swerved into her parking spot and put up a hand to stop the crowd of people coming to greet her. She took the key out of the ignition, "Is it...us," she said it like she was hoping Addie would say no.

"Of course not! I mean, it is, but it isn't" She was already looking deflated. "Now don't go looking like I've gone and killed your puppy!" Addie grabbed Tami'shand.

"You're embarrassed to be seen with a girl, am I wrong?"

"Yes, you're wrong" Addie replied flatly.

"Then what is it? Is it- is it me?" She looked her in the eye.

"Oh, God! No! Of course not!" Addie frantically searched for the words she was trying to use. the hoard of kids had stopped walking, but they were still calling to Tami, making it hard for her to concentrate.

She took a deep breath in, "Then what?"

Addie looked to the crowd of the kids, and then to Tami, and then back tot he crowd of kids, "It's this," she said gesturing with her head, "Don't you see what you are to those kids? To the teachers at this school? to parents of kids all around?" She looked at Addie, bewildered, "You mean something. You are  someone. People know you,"

She was starting to understand, "But-"

"Exactly! But they don't know me! I'm just some girl, I'm a girl who no one knows or cares about. I don't exactly mean anything to anyone. If I died, I'd have about three of my friends and then my family crying over me. I'm not even fully sure I know who I am anymore, but then there's you and you have it all and-"

She was chuckling.

"What?" Addie said indignantly.

"Why does it matter what they think, Adeline," Tami grabbed her chin, "You're someone to me. You mean something to me. I know who you are. You're a beautiful girl who's way smarter than I could ever be and has a lot more going for her than I do as the "popular" girl." She smiled down at Addie, "I'd give it all up if it meant  having you."

And then Addie was gone. Sweet, soft, pink lips had collided with her own,and she wasn't in control of her body anymore. Magically her hands were tangled in the bleach blonde mess on top of Tami's head, and her lips were working in harmony with the younger girls. She'd never felt more at home than in this girl's arms and there was no doubt about it that she had fallen.

It was the catcalls and jeers from Tami's groupies that broke the two high school-Er's apart, Addie looking redder than a tomato and Tami looking perfectly normal. The bleach blonde hopped from the driver's side door and stood, "Oi! Shut it, will you?" Then everyone was laughing, even Addie.

*****

Addie had never seen more people turn their head to whisper in each other's ear when she'd walked into a room in her entire life. That was, unless you counted when her parents talked about what "Santa" was getting her underneath their breaths when they thought she couldn't hear.

People she'd never known were trying to talk to her and get to know her and asking her all these questions she didn't really feel like answering. It was definitely different.

And not a good different.

*****

At lunch, she searched hard for her friends through the crowd of people trying to talk to her, and she even had to shrug off some girls that were, for some reason, trying to link arms with her.

Walking up to her table, she addressed her friends, "Hey guys," they all looked at her, and she felt the nervousness from earlier that morning seep into her veins again.

Her friends didn't seem upset though, "Oh, hey!" One of them, Maritza, said, "Sit down! What's all this going around??"

"Oh, not you guys too!" Addie sighed, "I swear, I've run into more fangirls today than teachers and that's saying something since I'm at school." They laughed and for a second, things were normal again and Addie was smiling.

"Hey, babe," Addie stiffened and turned at the sound of Tami's voice. the table was dead silent.

The younger girl leaned down to kiss Addie on the cheek and then pointed to the open seat next to Addie, "May I sit?" She looked at the girls, not asking Addie for conformation.

They all nodded and were very polite about the whole situation. Addie realized that everything was going to be okay, at least for a little while. She looked at Tami, and again fear stuck her.

Tami was well-known for breaking a lot of hearts and that was also a reputation that she held, but honestly, that's not what scared Addie.

"Adeline?" Tami was whispering in her ear, "Babe, are you alright?" 

Addie suddenly felt very cramped, "yeah, I'm fine, I just... restroom," She stood up quickly and ran in the direction of the bathroom.

Addie looked at herself in the mirror, hands shaking thinking: what are my parents going to say?

After all, they had never gone out of town for a reason, they worried. They had always been so worried about her doing something wrong, no matter how good of a kid she'd bee, there was always influences, and if they weren't around to influence her in the best of ways, then what would become of it?

Addie shook her head and splashed some water on her face before exiting the bathroom. If her parents were going to have a problem with it, then she was going to deal with it when she had to.

*****

Author's Note: Hey guys, this book is almost over! Maybe a couple more chapter, and I know how upset you guys are to see the ending, but I've got a couple more surprises coming out that I'm almost positive you'll love! There's one more very exciting chapter left for this book and a couple more plot twists, so I warn you to be ready! NOTE*** For the next "exciting" chapter of this book, you must be a follower. You won't miss any of the plot, but you will miss some exciting writing <3

Thanks for reading.

Stay Beautiful!

-A