Chapter Twelve

"Addie, honey, oh I missed you!" Addie's mother pulled her in for a rib-breaking hug.

"Oh, hi mom," Addie managed to get out, "Nice to see you too." She said breathlessly. Despite her sour mood, Addie couldn't help smile when she pulled away and saw her dad.

She hugged him and felt way calmer, but then a bittersweet taste filled her mouth as she thought of what he would think if he knew.

Tami's parents were finished hugging her as well. For a moment, they all made small talk with the girls about their time and it finally came to them asking them how they'd been.

"How was it? Being home by yourselves and all?"

"Good." The girls said at the same time. They exchanged a glance, Addie almost smirked until she saw Tami's face and then remembered all over again what had happened between them.

"Did you have fun?"

"Yes," they answered, together again, almost like robots.

Now it was the parents who exchanged the looks. When they looked back at the girls, all of their eyes were flicking back as forth, except for Tami's dad's eyes. They were directly aimed on Tami.

Addie aughed nervously and cleared her throat, and that broke the ice and the parents laughed as well.

"Should I get my stuff?" Addie asked quietly.

"Yeah, honey," her mother answered, her tone weary, "I'm so ready to go home."

"Alright,"

"I'll help you," this came from Tami.

So as not to seem suspicious, Addie agreed.

In the guest room they had a whispered argument.

"We have to make this seem at least slightly normal, we don't want your parents getting suspicious now do we?" Tami said the word 'suspicious' with so much venom Addie took a step back.

"God you're so bitter! I realized I made a mistake and you ignore me all weekend and you give me the fold shoulder and BAM, I magically DON'T have the chance to tell you how I feel."

Tami looked shocked at this remark, but Addie was so mad, she grabbed her bags on her own and stormed down the hall to the stairs.

Before entering the foyer though, she made her face look pleasant enough. She called up the stairs, "Looks like I didn't need help after all, thanks Tamera!" she laughed and put a fake smile on her face.

She was almost positive they'd see right through her, but the adults ate it up and it wasn't long before they were all back to normal. Back to where things had started.

*****

The rest of the week passed in a blur of more whispers and such, but Addie could see that by the end of the week, they had definitely died down a lot.

Things were actually going back to normal.

*****

At home that weekend, Addie was alone. She turned off we phone and hadn't showered since Thursday night. It was now Saturday.

She sat in her own stink watching re-runs of Smallville. She was on her third tub of ice cream that day, and she was still sitting in a pile of tissues from the night before.

There was a quiet knock on the door, "Honey," it was her dad, "Can I come in,"

She grunted in response and the door opened very slowly.

"Oh my god," her father covered his nose, "What died?"

"My soul," she sniffed.

"Baby," Addie looked at her father, "What happened when we were gone?"