Chapter 3

The next four weeks, Maks and I were on our honeymoon in Cape Town, South Africa. Only two people knew who we were!!! It was amazing not having to worry about paparazzi catching us kissing on the beach or following us out to dinner. We were both dreading getting off the plane in Michigan.

As we walked off of the plane, I suddenly felt like I was going to throw up. I quickly ran inside the airport and found the nearest trash can, leaving Maks standing confused. After throwing up a couple of times, I felt Maks put my hair into a bun and rub my back. "He's so sweet." I thought to myself.

When I was finished, he handed me a baby wipe and felt my forehead.

"You don't have a fever." Maks raised an eyebrow. "Maybe it was just the food on the plane. Are you alright?" He asked hugging me tight.

"Yeah, I'm okay. My tummy is just upset."

~~

As soon as we walked through the front door of our home, I dropped my bags and ran to the bathroom to throw up again. Soon after I was done, I walked into the living room to find Maks on his phone.

"Hey! How are you feeling?" He asked setting his phone down.

"Horrible. I'm so hungry but the thought of food makes me gag." I sat down next to Maks and laid my head on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry. If it was the food, it should be gone by now. I think it's something else."

"Well, what do you think it is?" I asked, concerned.

"Mer, I called my mom and told her your symptoms. She told me to tell you to take a pregnancy test." I could see Maks' face light up.

"I don't think I'm pregnant, but I will take one. There might be one in the bathroom. I'll be right back." I turned around and walked back to the bathroom.

Maks' POV

I was extremely excited for Meryl to take a pregnancy test. What if she was pregnant!? I've always wanted children and I was running out of time. I didn't want to be 40 and Meryl get pregnant, by time the child would turn 10 I would be 50!!

I could tell by Meryl's reaction to my mom's suggestion that she didn't want kids right now. Honestly, I couldn't blame her. At 28, I didn't want kids either.

After 5 minutes of being wrapped up in my thoughts, I saw Meryl emerge from the bathroom. She was staring down at the test stick as she slowly walked towards me. Her face was down, so I couldn't read her emotions. After a while of silence, I spoke.

"So? Positive or negative?" I asked, praying for positive. She turned to test towards me and I saw two pink vertical lines.

"Positive" she said quietly. Meryl handed the test to me and buried her face in her hands, crying hysterically.

"Babe, what's wrong? This is great, you're going to be a fantastic mom!" I tried to comfort her but she continued to cry.

"I'm so scared, Maks. I'm so scared." I heard her mutter between breaths. My heart sank to my feet hearing Meryl cry like this.