Chapter 12

Maks' POV

When Karina and I got to Ducks, we were seated immediately at the bar.

"What can I get for you two today?" The bartender asked nicely.

"Four shots of Grey Goose." Karina cut me off before I could say anything stupid. She knew me so well.

The bartender placed four shot glasses in front of us and we each took two. Grey Goose wasn't bad, but my vodka was better.

After taking the two shots, I looked at Karina and realized how incredibly gorgeous she was.

"You know, you're really beautiful." I said. I could see the shock in her eyes.

"What is up with you?" She asked, ignoring my complement. I sighed before answering.

"Meryl had a miscarriage..." I said quietly as Karina gasped.

"Maks, I'm so sorry. Is that why you're mad?" She placed her hand on mine.

"Sort of. I'm mad because of the miscarriage but, I'm aggravated that Meryl may not be able to have kids. I really want kids, you know that. I'm not sure I can stay married to her if we can't have kids." Karina's eyes boiled up in anger and I couldn't figure out why. As I raised another shot glass to my mouth, I felt a bony hand hit my cheek. The whole bar fell silent as the shot glass flew against the wall, causing it to break. When I turned back to face her, she was literally two inches away from my face.

"What!? You dumb ass! What the hell are you thinking Maks!? What don't you understand about 'To have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward til death do us part.'!? You made a promise to her Maks. She loves you and you love her, I can see it in your eyes. You can't put what you want before your wife. She's hurting right now, Maks. You hurt her and she needs you." Karina was almost crying at this point.

"You're right. How could I be so stupid!? You know, I didn't even tell her I loved her before I left this morning. I haven't touched her in a month..." I was completely dumbfounded. I couldn't imagine how Meryl felt right now.

"Hell yeah I'm right!! Yes you are very stupid, but you can't make her wait another four days. Now, get your ass on the next plane to Detroit!" Karina laughed.

"Thank you! Thank you, thank you, thank you." I kissed her on her forehead and left to go mend my marriage.