Chapter 31

Maks' POV

Once we arrived, Meryl was immediately rushed to a private room on the 5th floor.

"Ahhh!!!" I could hear Meryl scream out in pain. After rushing over to her side, the doctor came in smiling.

"Hello Meryl, Maks." The doctor said as he put on his white gloves.

"Hi." Meryl croaked, holding her belly.

"Let's see what we look like."

"Your doing great Meryl. I'm just going to do an ultrasound to see if there are any complications. Okay?" Meryl nodded as the doctor rubbed the gel on Meryl's bare stomach.

For a moment the doctor frowned, then nervously smiled back at us.

"What?" Meryl and I said at the same time.

Instead of responding, the doctor just stepped outside. Soon nurses were swarming around Meryl.

"What's going on?" I half yelled.

"The baby's umbilical cord is wrapped around it's neck. We need to do an emergency C-section right away." My heart sank to my feet.

What if the baby doesn't live? We can't lose another baby.

"What the hell is going on!?" Meryl screamed as nurses still swarmed around her. As they rolled her into the OR, I began to explain everything to her. Meryl's face instantly fell, just as mine did.

"Honey, everything's going to be okay. Just breathe and soon we will have our little girl." I comforted her before they took her away from me.

"Put this on." A small woman held out blue clothes to me. "And don't forget to wash your hands." The woman soon walked away as I began to put on the sterile clothes over my own.

Meryl's POV

The nurses soon put up a blue sheet in front of me. I had no idea what was going on behind it, which freaked me out. Before I knew it, Maks was holding my hand and I couldn't feel anything from the chest down.

"We're almost there." I heard the doctor say. Maks got really excited and peeked over the curtain.

"Babe, what's going on over there?" I asked quietly.

"They've almost got her out. Here she comes." Maks looked down at me and then back up again.

"Here she is!" The doctor said enthusiastically.

There was only one thing missing, a loud cry.

"Why isn't she crying?" I asked as Maks looked over the sheet.

Before Maks could respond, we heard something amazing.

A cry.