Chapter Seven

Vote if you enjoy!

We decide to search the house, for no particular reason, we have to start looking for Horcruxes at some point. The black family has a history with Voldemort anyway, it's possible there's something here that could help. 

I start downstairs with Hermione, while the boys venture upstairs, scanning bookcases and cabinets for anything useful. It strikes me how beautiful this house could be and probably was, during it's prime. With large windows that open onto the garden along the back wall of the living room, still grand despite being almost opaque due to the grime on the glass. Heavy, dark curtains drawn to cover them, with a large fireplace at one end of the room and a mirror hanging above it, showing a blurry version of me. 

Admittedly, the decor is rather dark and dreary, and a think layer of dust covers every surface, mould and damp haunt the corners and the ornate wallpaper peels off in places, revealing scraps of the layer before and then painted plaster, but somehow it still feels grand. Beautiful. Or it has the potential to be so. 

"Oi, come have a look at this!"

Ron's muffled voice echoes down the stairs, and I follow Hermione up, down the corridor, to one of the bedrooms. Ron motions towards a small plaque that's stuck to the black wooden door.

"Regulus Arcturus Black," Hermione reads, glancing at Ron, 

"R A B," Ron says, and we glance at each other, frozen. Ron pushes the door open to reveal a bedroom that's been pulled apart, the mattress thrown off the bed, broken glasses and bottles, sheets strewn across the room. Somone was here. Someone searched this room before us. 

Harry takes a breath, "Come on, there won't be anything in there." 

We sit around the kitchen table, and Harry rereads the note that came with our fake Horcrux. We glance at each other, not sure what to say, 

"R A B was Sirius's brother?" Ron asks, already knowing the answer,

"Yes," I say quietly, tapping my fingers against the table. 

That's when we hear a noise, coming from the door behind Ron. Ron tenses, turning around as Harry and I stand. That door leads to the cellar, below us. I take out my wand, frowning when I see how little Harry is concerned, and he walks slowly to the door, opens it quickly, reaching in and pulling out a scrawny house elf. Kreacher. 

He drags Kreach out as he protests, flinging him passed me to the far side of the room, 

"You've been spying on us have you?" I snap, and Kreacher cowers slightly, 

"Kreacher has been watching," The house elf says slowly, from behind a bench, he peers across it with narrow eyes, 

Hermione glances at me, "Maybe he knows where the real locket is."

I pass Harry the locket from the table behind me, and he holds it out, in front of Kreacher but just out of reach, 

"Have you ever seen this before?"

Kreacher doesn't answer, 

"Kreacher," I say impatiently, and he slowly steps out from behind the bench,

"It's master Regulus's locket," He answers slowly, 

"But there were two, weren't there," Harry says quickly, "Where's the other one."

Kreacher eyes the locket, "It was here, in this house..."

"Where is it now? Did someone take it?" I ask, stepping forward as Kreacher slowly starts to back into the corner,