Chapter Twelve

Vote if you enjoy!

I limp out into the darkness, leaving the crackling of the radio and smell of a questionable dinner behind as the cool evening air curls around me. My eyes remain trained on the ground, half-heartedly searching for firewood. I'm just glad to be out of that stuffy tent. 

With every step, and low, tight ache bubbles up under the skin of my right leg. I've learned to ignore it for the most part. Harry is growing restless, and both Ron and I can tell. He wants to move on and the least I can do is try. The locket hangs around my neck, hissing and ticking against my collarbone through thick green wool. 

I fumble down a slope ahead of the tent and the sound of the radio disappears entirely, sinking me into an eerie, quiet calm. I can hear the rustling of branches above and the snap of twigs beneath my feet, and I start scanning the darkness for fallen branches. Eventually, my eyes land on one and as I crouch to collect it, I hear a noise.

It sounds like an animal, and I stand, squinting at the forest ahead as three large dark figures fade into view. I blink, taking a small step back as they walk down into the shallow gulley I stand in, mumbling conversation, which is muffled due to Hermione's protective charms. I stare at them, seeing that one man carries a suspiciously small body, and another walks behind the other two, growling instructions. I recognise him, I swear I do. 

They grow closer to me, and I freeze, sucking in a breath as they begin to walk along the edge of where the protective charms are, I realise the man I recognise is Fenrir Greyback. I suck in a breath, taking a step back and stumbling on my injured leg, making a rustling noise as I stagger backwards, catching myself as I fall down, and turning to look up at him as he frowns. He turns, walking towards where I lie, his feet falling just before mine as he sniffs at the air. 

"What's that-" He pauses, his eyes narrowing slightly as he glances at his two companions, "what's that smell?"

I shake slightly, sinking down into the dry foliage around my elbows and closing my eyes. Please let him leave. Let him leave. I focus on my own breathing. In, and out. In and out. I'm alive. Right now I'm alive. I can smell the rotting leaves and Autumn and dirt. I can hear the rushing of air through trees, I can-

"Snatchers." 

I jump, looking back to see Ron, looking on at the group of men as they walk away from us, into the darkness, still carrying the limp body. I slowly pull myself to my feet, looking back at him. I nod. He motions for me to follow him back to the tent, and I nod, slowly and carefully making my way up the slope and into the warm golden light of the gas light Hermione put out. As we come over the crest of the hill, we see two dark silhouettes huddled close, talking quietly. 

Ron immediately tenses, and instead of making conversation, he pushes past them and through the tent flap as Hermione opens her mouth to speak. She sighs, stepping away from Harry and turning to me, blinking any thought of Ron from her mind, 

"What happened? Are you alright?"

I nod weakly, and I finally realise how much I want to sit down, "Snatchers, just outside of..." I say quietly, slightly out of breath, as I limp past them and into the tent. Ron is sitting on his bunk, tuning his radio, and I yank the locket off me, tossing it into his lap as I pass him on the way to my bed. As I lower myself down, letting out a tight sigh as the unbearable ache seeps from my leg, Harry enters the tent, followed immediately by Hermione.

"We're not safe here, we have to move on," Harry says quickly, nodding at the two of us, 

I force a nod, shakily looking down at my feet as feeling finally returns. Hermione sighs, "They aren't strong enough to apparate yet, Harry, I-"

"Then we go by foot." 

xxx

Before we leave, Hermione advises us to pack everything up neatly, as even though the ten will be pitched and reappear the same as it is now, she can't promise that its contents won't be damaged during our travels. 

I stare at the bag that sits at the foot of my bed, open, my clothes strewn across the floor, and what's left in the bag makes me ache. I walk over to it, weakly picking up a pair of jeans and folding them when the cover of a book catches my eye. I stare at it, unable to peel my eyes away, seeing how the golden letters shine numbly in the candlelit room. The Fellowship of the Ring sits next to a heavy green sweater, which has been folded neatly. I bite my lip, kneeling as I put the jeans into the bag, and brushing my fingers over the worn cardboard cover. 

Draco wanted me to read it. He desperately wanted me to understand how incredible it was. 

For a moment I hesitate, unsure as to whether I want to open it and fall back into him, but I shake off my uncertainty, pulling the book out from under the sweater and studying it. I brush my fingers over the worn pages and smile at the thought of him reading it, tired and content in the common room. Something falls from one of the pages, and I frown, staring down at my lap where a small Polaroid photo sits, smiling up at me. Two happy people standing by a fireplace, grinning to eachother with small glasses of wine in hand. 

Draco looks to me and then the camera, and I smile up at him, laughing. 

And for the first time in months, I don't want to cry when I see his face. I brush my hand over the photo and place it back into the book, smiling softly. 

I know the time we had was worth all the pain I feel now. I know it. 

xxx

Hey fam

Literally everyone is leaving my state these holidays so it's just me and my homework getting lit

I'm procrastinating please tell me not to

How was your week?

Lot's of love,

Taylor xx