Chapter Thirty-Seven

Vote if you enjoy!

"It seems despite your exhaustive defensive strategies, you still have a bit of a security problem headmaster," Harry spits, and I glance at him, the word headmaster sinking in my stomach like a rock. I turn, smiling slightly as I see the order, Molly Weasley and the others, Lupin, Tonks, everyone, walk in through the now open doors. A murmur shivers through the crowd as everyone turns to see them. I look back at Snape, 

I grit my teeth, "How dare you stand where he stood?" 

My voice cracks and I swallow the lump in my throat. As I stare at Snape I know I see relief in his eyes, knowing I'm alive. Makes me sick.

"Tell them! Tell them how it happened that night, tell them how you looked him in the eye, a man who trusted you, and killed him," Harry snaps, his eyes firm and seething, "Tell them,"

Snape pauses, his eyes flicker briefly over the crowd and then in one swift movement he pulls out his wand. I grab mine from my pocket, raising it and holding an arm out in front of Harry.  Someone pushes us aside, and I look over to see McGonagall, her wand raised, her eyes like stones. Cold, stiff. The students quickly part and press against the walls. Harry glances at me and we step back. 

Shakily, Minerva strikes first, and again, and again, and Snape blocks every time, slowly walking backwards, he isn't even fighting. Minerva stuns the Carrows, who stood behind Snape, and he continues to retreat. We watch as he contorts himself in a black, swirling cloud, twisting through the air up and back until he breaks through the glass window and disappears into the night. Silence falls on the hall.

Broken by ruckus applause. McGonagall tries to hide her smile as she lights the torches and fills the room with a warm glow. I grin.

Clara

The applause goes silent, slower, and I sink downwards as a voice hisses my name right in the back of my ear. Harry turns to me, his eyes wide as the golden light fades and a heavy shadow settles on us. I watch as the students stop smiling, their faces scanning the hall in fear. 

A shrill scream punctuates the air and I stagger to my feet, moving towards where it's coming from, but then it stops and another starts crying, and as Harry and I move towards her a voice rips through me,

I know that many of you have wanted to fight, some of you may even think that to fight is wise, but this is folly.

Everyone can hear it, the horror on their faces shows that they can,

Give me the Potters, do this and none shall be harmed, give me the Potters, and I shall leave Hogwarts untouched, give me the Potters, and you will be rewarded, 

My hand fumbles for Harry's,

You have one hour.

The numbness recedes, it feels like water seeping out of my ears. I realise everyone has moved away from us, that we are at the centre of the room, all eyes fixed on us. I look at Harry,

"What are you waiting for? Grab them!"

The voice that calls out surprises me, bitter, perhaps lower, lacking her normal sarcastic lilt. I turn to see Pansy Parkinson, her face pained, angry, scarred, and very, very serious. I open my mouth to speak to her, though god knows how I respond to that, when Ginny steps out and stands in front of Harry, and then Hermione and Ron, and then, to my surprise, Blaise steps out, taking his place next to Ron, his large hand finding mine and squeezing it. He shakes his head at Pansy. 

"Students out of bed! Students out of bed! Students in the corridors!"

Filch stumbles in through the doors, Mrs Norris in his arms, eyes wide with panic,