Chapter Forty-Two

Vote if you enjoy!

- in regards to the bushfire threatening my home- it still is. At this point there is not end in sight. I had this chapter stockpiled and decided to publish it.

However it is unlikely you'll hear from me for a while, since one without internet where I'm staying.

Harry and I walk slowly down through the castle. The air is heavy and I feel as though a stone has been placed in my stomach so heavy it threatens to push me through the floor. Everything is so grey even we look dead. I suppose I had my suspicions. I knew, somehow, I knew.

"You aren't going alone,"

"Harry-"

"No, he asked for both of us," Harry says sternly, "And I'm not letting you do this on your own."

We round a corner and see where Ron and Hermione are perched on the stairs, huddled together. They look up at us. They stand quickly, relief flooding their faces,

"We thought you'd gone to the forbidden forest,"

"I'm going there now," I say quickly, pushing past them and continuing down the stairs, Harry opens his mouth to argue but Ron cuts him off,

"What? No- You can't give yourself up to him,"

I swallow, shaking my head and turning to face them. Harry walks down to me, his eyes teary.

"What is it?"

I blink tears from my eyes, clearing my throat, "There's a reason I can hear them, the Horcruxes, and Harry could too until fifth year when I-" I stop, that's not important, "I think I've known for a while, and I think you have too..."

Hermione's face falls. She looks defeated. Tears stream down her face and she shakes her head, about to argue,

"No, kill the snake, kill the snake and it's just him-" I say quickly, "And Harry-"

"No, Clara, he won't stop killing people until he has both of us, and I'm not letting you do this alone. If we go, we go together."

Hermione pulls Harry into a hug, and I walk over to Ron. I wrap my arms around him, squeezing him to me. He takes a shaky breath, pushing me away and nodding. He squeezes my shoulders.

I hug Hermione tightly, biting back tears when I turn away, going to walk down the staircase towards the Great Hall when someone comes into view ahead of me.

He wears black, his blonde hair a mess, his face frantic. When he sees me, he stops. I wipe tears from my eyes, walking towards Draco slowly. He shakes his head.

When I reach him, we stand a few feet apart, staring at each other. His hair is dusty and has started to curl, a cut runs down the sife of his face and his clothing is dusty and worn. He clears his throat.

"I've said goodbye to you so many times," Draco murmurs, he nods at my face, "I know that look off by heart,"

I shake my head, struggling to contain a sob as I pull him into a tight embrace. "I don't have a choice,"

He doesn't argue with me, instead kissing the side of my face and holding my to him. I can smell dust, ash, but beneath it I smell him, his skin, how warm and safe it makes me. I feel an intense ache in my chest, screaming at me to stop, to stay, but I push it down.

"Rosie-"

"I know," He mutters,

"Make sure she gets a good funeral," I manage, "...Daphne too,"

Draco nods.

I take a shaky breath, pulling back so I can see his face, I touch his jaw, brushing some hair from his forehead, sniffing, "Promise me you'll marry someone nice and have cute little blonde children," I force a smile, "And move out of the mansion into someplace light,"