Chapter Twenty-Four

Vote if you enjoy!

The girl is small. She has dark matted hair and big eyes, dirt is smudged down the side of her face and a sweater that looks miles too big. She is so very thin.

But I recognise her.

She can't be real. A ghost, my mind playing tricks, obviously. But even as I acknowledge her mentally, she stays perfectly still. Her mouth slightly open, the cloth she was fumbling with frozen in her dainty hands. He big green eyes glued to mine.

It took all of me not to run to her.

My father finishes his sentence, and my eyes flicker from hers to his. Unsure as to what he just said I simply force a smile, motioning for him to lead me into the bar. As he turns, continuing his conversation with the man we have come here to meet, my eyes fall back on hers.

I do all I can do.

"Wait here," I mouth. She doesn't nod or respond in any way, and I peel my eyes off her, turning and entering the bar.

x

He mouths something at me, and I can barely make out words, but I don't leave. I won't. Where would I go? If I'm recognised by anyone, I'll be killed. He's all I have. Part of me wonders if that was even him.

I wrap myself in the cloak, slipping down the wall and onto the ground, watching through a veil as the pedestrians pass by. Slowly, the streams of people lessen, and then, after a few hours, after my body is numb from the cold, no one passes me. I am alone. The door opens and someone leaves the bar and I sit up, peering forward, ready to stand. It isn't him, and I settle back down.

The streets are eerily empty for London. I wonder what day it is. Spring, early spring, I know that. Is it a Sunday? A Thursday? I haven't a clue. My hand finds his ring and squeezes it as the lights around me flicker to life. A fear is settling in my chest. Where is my brother. Where are they taking him.

Suddenly, the door opens and three men step out. I watch them as they shake hands with one and he dons a hat, turning and walking down the alley and disappearing around the corner. I squint in the dim gold light, standing as I approach the two men remaining.

Draco and Lucius are talking quietly. Draco glances in my direction and raises his voice jus slightly.

"Father, I might remain in London tonight," He says, and Lucius frowns,

"Why?"

"Blaise wants to meet me, and introduce me to his second cousin, er-" He swallows, "Sophie, tomorrow as they're meeting for breakfast."

Lucius isn't convinced.

"She's from an American pureblood family, an old one apparently," Draco says quickly, "We don't know them, the Artennons?"

"I don't believe so." Lucius sighs. Draco patiently waits for an answer, "I suppose. I expect you back tomorrow evening, Draco."

Draco nods, and Lucius takes a breath, disapparating.

Silence hangs in the air for a moment, and I force myself to remain hidden. He glances at me, swallowing, and the turns, walking down the street. I follow him, trying not to step at the same time, so he'll hear my footsteps. The dull ache in my leg throbs every time I step onto it. I need something for it, actual medicine, but Hermione ran out.

Draco turns and crosses the empty street, walking into a dark alley. I follow him, watching as he presses a hand against the brick wall at the end, muttering something. The bricks then start to move, as they do in the Leaky Cauldron. I walk over to him, watching as they part to reveal a long stretch of unremarkable cobblestone street.

He pauses, glancing over his shoulder and I take the opportunity to step through. He immediately follows. As the brick wall behind us reforms, I realise that a small ticket booth sits just inside, with a man in plain ministry uniform waits expectantly. I hang back, watching as Draco speaks with him. He then waves us on.

Draco begins to walk down the street, lit entirely by golden streetlights that catch the rain, filling the air with little gems. Small culdesacs lead off this main street, each lined with about five neat townhouses on each side, and one at the end, all with curtains drawn. Each house has a front door on the right, and next to it, one large window. Above, on the second floor, there are two slightly smaller windows, and each is made of a dull brick. They all look derelict, but I'd be willing to bet they aren't. It's another layer of protection.

Draco glances over his shoulder, and I hurry my footsteps. He sighs shakily when he hears me.

He turns onto the seventh culdesac we pass, walking to a house on the corner. He walks up the small flight of stairs, up to the black front door. He knocks three times, muttering yet another password, and he opens the door. As he does, he feigns dropping his umbrella, and as he leans down to pick it up, I slip past him.

I step into a dimly lit hallway. As Draco follows me, the lights flicker on. My heart feels as though it will break out of my chest as the door next to me closes. Draco turns, sucking in a breath, his eyes darting around the empty space, searching for me.

I let the cloak slip off.

My eyes meet his. I try to say something, to smile, but I can't. I can't breathe. I feel tears start to slip down my face and I swallow. I pull the Fellowship of the Ring out from under my arm and hold it up,

"I wanted to give you back your book," I say, my voice cracking,

His face screws up and he lets out a sob as he pulls me to him, pressing his face into my hair. I let out a cry, nuzzling into him, breathing him in, shaking as he clings to me. I pull back, my hands find his face, his neck, and pulling him into a kiss. He holds me tightly, a hand cupping my face as we break apart.

"I thought I killed you," He croaks, brushing his thumb over my mouth,

I chuckle, "It takes more than just a fall to kill me, darling."

xxx

Ur welcome