Chapter Nineteen

Vote if you enjoy!

A blanket of snow has frosted over the landscape now. The roof of this little house is no longer black, covered in a thin, dainty layer of white. The grass that slopes up from the ocean is covered in a white sheen and sparkles in the starlight. 

Draco's sweater doesn't smell like him anymore. 

I always thought boxing day was strange. I never liked it. It felt sad. The magic that had filled the air with the intoxicating smell of spices dissipates, leaving everyone feeling as though they'd lost something they couldn't name. I look down from the misty window to my cup of tea and smile to myself. I tap my fingers against the china, frowning to myself. 

I wonder where they are. I wonder if they're safe. I'm warm and well fed and God knows where Harry and Hermione have spent Christmas. I feel the pang of guilt in my chest, and I let out a breath. I miss Harry's stupidly messy hair and Hermione's smile. I miss doing something. I don't know how much longer I'll be able to stand sitting here. 

Someone shuffles up beside me, and I glance at Ron as he takes a sip of his warm drink, blinking in the shadows. 

"I don't think we should stay here much longer."

I nod in response, biting my lip and frowning. I don't know what to say. I don't know where we'll go. I haven't a clue where Hermione and Harry have ended up. 

Ron turns around so he's leaning on the bench, looking over at me, "We'll find them."

I smile, "I bloody hope so. I want my clothes back."

"How's the book?"

"Brilliant, actually. Draco was right, muggle writing can be pretty incredible." I pause, "Not that I thought it wouldn't be."

Ron nods, raising his eyebrows, mocking me defensiveness, "I can't remember the last time I read a book because I wanted to."

We go quiet. Ron takes out his deluminator and starts fiddling with it. The metal reflects the light from the lamp on the wall behind us, and I watch as Ron runs his fingers over it. He lets out a breath, his face screwing up slightly. 

"I'm sorry, Clara." He mumbles, almost inaudible. I frown, turning to face him, "It's my fault we're here. It's my fault that-" His voice cracks and trails off.

I take a breath, "It's okay, Ron. I forgive you." 

"But it's not! I've fucked everything up. God knows where they are, God knows what we're going to do about it. And you... You followed me out of that fucking tent out of worry and I brought you with me and it isn't fair." He says his voice wobbling. He's been quiet this whole time, I've noticed, ever since we left. He didn't argue, he barely spoke to any of us. 

I take his hand, squeezing it, "I followed you out of anger, too." I chuckle, "And yes, this is all your fault, but we're going to be okay. We will be." 

He shrugs, flicking the deluminator open. The lamp behind us goes dark, and I frown, looking out into the dark garden and hitting Ron with the back of my hand. He turns, and falters, frowning at it. The ball of light shivers, throwing a silvery glow out onto the garden. Ron squints. 

"Can you hear that..?" Ron murmurs. I shake my head, "It's Hermione. I- I think it's going to take us to Hermione." 

xxx

Ron runs upstairs, something I still can't do, while I throw everything into the rucksack and tie up my hair. I don't know what he says to Bill or Fleur, but he thuds back down, spinning around the corner and finding me in the middle of the dark living room, the bag on my back, lopsided and anticipating whatever happened next. 

Ron swallows, quickly pulling on his boots, fumbling in the darkness as he ties his shoelaces and then walking over to me. We walk slowly out the back door, closing it behind us and crossing the garden. We stop, staring at the light as it begins to move. I glance at Ron, his face only illuminated by the white light from the orb, as he frowns at it, remaining perfectly still as it moves towards him, slowly, tentatively, and then melts into him, right into his chest. He shivers, glancing at me. 

"What the fuck..." I murmur, "Are you alright?"

I don't feel scared by it. I trust it, the silvery light. I don't hear the voices Ron can, but I trust him. He holds out his hand, and I take it. 

In a moment the garden around us disappears. I shudder, blinking in a new, deep darkness. I blink as a silvery, dark forest fades into being. Tall, black trees stretch up above us laced in white snow. As I drop my hand from Ron's I take a step forward, crisp snow crunching beneath my feet. The air bites at my lungs and I shiver, eyeing the surrounding landscape as more and more forest becomes visible in the darkness.

I glance at Ron, who shrugs, and I sigh. Balling my hands into fists, I take another step, listening for something anything, I-

I hear a sound, quiet, almost missable. Then it happens again. The splashing of water. I look back over my shoulder to where it's coming from, glancing at Ron. 

We kick off at a run, following the noise up and over the crest of a small hill, weaving through the trees and down towards what seems to be a pond. I walk slowly down towards it, to where I can see a pile of clothes, left at the edge of the ice, and then, about a metre from my feet, a circle that has been melted away, the water underneath slopping against the ice. I lean down and pick up the sweater I'm standing next to, pressing my face into it and smelling it- 

"It's Harry's..." I murmur, 

I drop it, kneeling next to the water and peering down. 

Something hits the ice beneath me. 

Harry's under there.

I rub away the thin layer of snow and see his face. He's struggling against something. 

I stand, grabbing the hem of my shirt and pulling it and my sweater off, dropping them by my feet. Ron argues with me, but I don't hear him. I undo my jeans, my boots, pulling them and my socks off so my bare feet hit the ice, but I still don't feel it. Harry is down there and he's dying. He's dying. 

My chest tightens as I walk to the water's edge, not stopping to think as I slip in. 

xxx

I wasn't originally gonna post anymore but I changed my mind

here have another update

sorry last one for the night ya girl gotta work tomorrow morning xx