Chapter Thirty-Four

Vote if you enjoy!

We walk carefully along a ledge that runs towards where the sound had come from, and I lag behind, flinching as the sound erupts again. As they round a corner, their faces are illuminated by a golden light. I follow them, then freeze.

Through a series of tall stone columns, chained and covered in bloody scars that stain its white scales, is a Dragon. It lies weak, dormant, blinking tired eyes. It rears its head when it sees us, hissing and turning to us. Griphook goes to a large wooden crate, lifting something and tossing it to Ron, before picking up one himself, as the Dragon begins to roar. 

As he shakes the metal object he holds in its hand, it rattles, and the dragon cowers, whimpering, and my chest aches for it. 

"It's been trained to expect pain when it hears the noise." Griphook yells, and I glance at him, disgusted. I see Hermione with the same expression on her face,

"That's barbaric," She snaps, but he doesn't respond.

As the Dragon whimpers and cowers, we hurry around it, towards a few metal stairways that it guards. As the rattling noises finally cease, we follow Griphook up the stairs and to the right, to a large black doorway. He grabs the cursed Goblin by the shoulders, pressing his hand against the door which sends a ripple through it, accompanied by a series of loud clicking noises. The door swings open. 

We slip inside the dark room, and I frown, my eyes adjusting, to see shelves and cabinets filled with gold and ornate, beautiful antiques worth more than anything I've seen. Piles of goblets and coins and plates, shimmering in the dimly lit room. I raise my wand,

"Lumos," I murmur, illuminating my face with a bright blue glow. 

We inch forward, eyeing every item around us. I frown, something pinching at the back of my mind. 

"Accio Horcrux," Hermione says, but nothing happens, 

Ron glances at her, "You seriously aren't trying that one again are you?"

"That sort of magic won't work in here," Griphook mutters,

Harry turns, but I keep moving. A hissing curls in the back of my head. Twitching, scratching at me. 

"It's here," I murmur, "I can feel it," 

They look up at me, but I keep moving, scanning over the piles and piles of gold and silver. The noise keeps pinching. It curls in the back of my skull. A high pitched whistle, scratching, tapping against me, and a whisper, loud, low, hissing at me. 

Then I see it.

Perched on a high ledge of stone, hidden from plain sight, is a goblet, shimmering. 

I hear a clattering noise from behind me, "That's it, that's it up there-"

I turn, seeing Ron and Hermione staring as cups, plates and various other valuables begin to multiply at their feet. again and again, each object explodes into more and more. 

"The Gemino curse, everything you touch will multiply!" Griphook says loudly, and I nod to Harry, 

"Help, Hermione, pass the sword-"

She pulls out the sword and tosses it to Harry, I point to the Goblet, "I'm not tall enough." 

The air is filled with a loud, clattering noise, banging and breaking against stone as the gold begins to pile up and up with every movement we make. Harry launches himself towards the goblet, reaching the sword towards it, climbing up a growing pile of golden cups as I step back, trying not to make the situation worse but I trip and fall backwards. I begin to drown in metal.

Hermione grabs me and pulls me up. I look up to Harry as Hermione commands us all to stop moving. I freeze, taking a breath as finally, the noise stops. I stare up towards where Harry is buried. Where the Horcrux is, and everything falls quiet. 

Harry launches himself from the mountain he was buried in, landing in front of me, but throwing the goblet to Griphooks' feet. The Goblin picks it up. 

"We had a deal Griphook!" I yell, and he looks at Harry, 

"The cup for the sword!" 

Harry pulls the sword out and throws it towards Griphook, who then tosses Hermione the cup. He grins.

"I said I would get you in, I said nothing about getting you out." 

I yell out in protest but he ignores us, opening the door with the help of the other Goblin and leaving as the sea of metal around us starts to multiply. My feet leave the ground and I scream, struggling towards the door after Hermione. Slowly, we inch closer and closer, the weight of thousands of bars of gold dragging us down. 

Finally, my hands meet stone, and I pull myself out, following Hermione out to the top of the metal stairs. We look out at the Dragon, who hisses as Griphook yells thieves and then retreats, dropping the metal rattle and leaving the cursed Goblin alone.

"That little git-" Ron spits, "At least we still have Bogrod-"

The Dragon arches it's neck, sending a rush of flames towards the Goblin. I wince.

"That's unfortunate," Ron mutters, 

Suddenly, a curse hits the metal above my head and a crowd of ministry guards come into view. I grab Hermione's arm, pulling her behind one of the stone columns and closing my eyes. Shit. We have to get out of here.

My only idea is completely stupid.

"We can't just stand here who's got an idea?" Hermione yells,

"I do but it's- Mad," I yell.

I swallow, stepping forward enough to see the balustrade keeping us from the dragon,

"Reducto!" I yell, and it explodes, sending it and some of the floors beneath it crumbling onto the dragon's wing.

I run back towards the stairs and then turn. I take one final breath, and kick off at a run, sprinting for the gap between the columns and jumping. I grab onto the Dragon's spine, climbing over the other side and flinching as curses continue to be flung at me.

"Come on then!" I scream, and Harry, Ron and Hermione follow. 

"Reducto!" I scream, breaking the chain that held the Dragon down. 

Come on, come on please work-

The Dragon begins to climb. Slowly we ascend the cave walls, breaking through tracks and inching towards a small pinprick of light above us. Slowly, until finally, we break through. 

We smash through the floor of the room we had entered through and the Dragon continues up and breaks through the glass ceiling, sending shattered glass raining down on us. The cold, bitter wind bites at out cheeks and I realise how damp and heavy the air had been in the caves. We pause, the Dragon sits back, breathing in what must be it's first fresh air in years. I sigh, biting my lip,

"Reducto!"

I hit the tip of its tail and it screeches, attempting to fly, and running along the rooftops, massacring the slate and chimneys atop them, until finally, it's wings lift us up. We rise and rise into the clouds and glide over London and then countryside. I press my face into the creature. breathing deeply, unsure as to whether to laugh or cry. How we did that, I don't know.

We begin to descend, and as we fly over a lake, Harry says something about jumping. I look up, and he nods, and then I let go. I slip from the Dragon and plummet towards the black water.