Chapter Forty-Three

Vote if you enjoy!

The body of Clara Potter is carried through the gates of Hogwarts. Hagrid holds her, cradling her lifeless form as he sobs quietly. Behind him is a swarm of black, standing tall and proud as they march through the rubble and early morning sun. At the head of the group he stands. White skin, sneering as he glances at Harry Potter.

Harry stumbles, held by Bellatrix Lestrange, towards the castle. Tears slowly fall down his cheeks, hot against his skin. 

The dark crowd reach a courtyard and as people start flooding through the castle doors, gasping, whimpering, crying. Voldemort smiles, chuckling as people start recognising Clara's corpse. Their eyes are worn and numb. Bellatrix grins, pressing her wand further into Harry's cheek and twisting it smiling as Ginny Weasley yells in protest. 

The Death Eaters begin to laugh.

Draco Malfoy pushes through the crowd so he can see. He falters when he sees her. His hand forms a fist around Clara's wand.

"Clara Potter is dead!" Voldemort sneers, "And so, soon will be her brother."

Harry looks away.

"And then you will have to put your faith in me,"

Voldemort turns to face his followers, grinning.

"Clara Potter is dead!" He yells, and they laugh with him, as Bellatrix brings Harry forward. Voldemort turns, smiling. "And now is the time to declare yourself, come forward and join us!"

No one in the crowd moves. There are hushed murmurs from behind Voldemort and as blonde woman steps forward. She clears her throat, her eyes landing on Draco Malfoy, who hasn't looked away from Clara's corpse. 

"Draco," She calls quietly. He son looks up. 

He hesitates, weighing Clara's wand in his hand. Then, taking a breath, guilt pushing him down, Draco walks forward. He pushes past Hermione, crosses the cobblestone and faces Voldemort. Voldemort smiles.

"Well done Draco," Voldemort smiles, pulling the boy into a stiff embrace. Draco pulls back, stepping away. Awkwardly, the boy walks arond Voldemort, toward his parents, though he will not look at them. He stares at her. 

Her hand moves. Twitches. Just slightly, barely visible. But it moved. She moved. He begged for one more chance, she's won so many times. Surely once more.

A boy limps forward out of the crowd, carrying the sorting hat in one hand. Neville Longbottom. 

"I must say I hoped for better," Voldemort sneers. The crowd behind him laughs. He begins to walk towards Neville, eyeing him, "And who might you be, young man?"

"Neville Longbottom."

More laughter from the Death Eater side.

"Well Neville I'm sure we can find a place for you in our ranks,"

"-I'd like to say something." Neville says loudly,

Voldemort hisses, recoiling slightly in disgust, "Well Neville I'm sure we'd all be fascinated to hear what you have to say,"

"It doesn't matter that she's dead,"

"Neville-" Hermione butts in, but he ignores her, 

"People die every day! Friends, family... yeah," He swallows, thinking of what to say next, "We lost Clara tonight. But she's still with us! In here!" He motions at his chest, "So's Fred, Remus, Tonks, all of them."

Neville takes a breath.

"They didn't die in vain," He turns to Voldemort, who has begun laughing, "But you will, because you're wrong! Her heart did beat for us, for all of us, and Harry won't die! It's not over!"