Episode 32

Speaking from the results, Harold magnificently passed the enrollment examination. That was obvious since he had taken on about more than thirty knights and defeated them while he had been almost completely uninjured. Since dealing with movements that didn’t stick to the characteristic motion would be nothing if one had Harold’s reflexes and physical ability, in the latter half, him getting used to it also helped and it was to the extent that he felt as though he was doing some monotonous work. When he realized it, even the high he had felt in a long time had lessened.
But although he passed, there were also problems. It was the fact that although it was an extremely difficult matter, a part of the people couldn’t feel anything good towards the newcomer who had beat up his seniors.

「The newcomer called Harold, is that you?」

「………So what」

「Since it seems as though you have a huge attitude, we were thinking of teaching you how the newbie should behave」

That is, what he was trying to say was, without even ten days passing after his enrollment, situations where he would quarrel with senior knights whenever there was any time, started occurring. ‘Is it fine for esteemed knights to be like this?’were Harold’s frank thoughts. Even with them, who were brave and honorable when seen from outside, it seemed as though not each and everyone was a good person.

That said, thinking how they could do such things so coolly, when he questioned Shido about it, it seemed as though personal fights using weapons or magic were prohibited. It also seemed as though a considerably heavy penalty would be given if one broke the ban. That was why they attacked with their bare hands. And obviously, they attacked Harold aiming for when he was unarmed too. It seemed as though it was done under the pretense of unarmed combat training and not personal struggles without weapons.

After doing the laundry which was assigned to the newcomers and drying them, in front of Harold, who was returning to the barracks, were four senior knights standing shoulder to shoulder. Harold openly breathed out a sigh. He didn’t care if that attitude conversely instigated them even more. For them, no matter what Harold did, it would get on their nerves. ‘If a person is detestable, then even their clothing is detestable’, was a saying that was well said. Even if they were to thrash Harold, they would probably still be unable to stand him.

If so, it wouldn’t be alright to simply get beaten up. If he couldn’t avoid being hated then he was fine with leaving it like that. Frankly speaking, it was meaningless to simply keep them company. There was only a single action that Harold could pick here.

Bending both his knees by a little, he dropped his center of gravity. Looking at the posture where it seemed as though he would throw himself upon them even now, the four of them increased their vigilance, but that backfired. Unleashing the strength stored in his legs, Harold’s figure disappeared leaving behind a ‘whoosh’ sound of cutting through the air. Due to their visions narrowing because they were too concentrated on Harold in close-range, their eyes weren’t able to keep up with that speed. As a result, they were late in reacting.

By the time they became aware that Harold had disappeared, he had already kicked the stone wall present on the right side and had accelerated towards the front. With that action that didn’t even take a single second, he had left behind the four of them and instantly opened a gap of more than twenty meters. With this, there was nothing the they could do to catch up to him. By the time they turned back, Harold’s back had already become distant.

Ignoring the angry 「Wait!」s that could be heard from behind, he headed towards a busy place. Because if there were some people, it would be hard for even them to start a quarrel. If he just let it go like this, it would end without needing to take them on.