Episode 39

(Tasuku POV)

I had finally returned one sunny day, and instead of a greeting, I was promptly informed of Harold’s visit instead. Probably because it’s quite unusual for Harold to visit without telling us in advance, it was that kind of situation.

Harold was wearing a yukata at the time because it was already getting late.

“It’s been a long time, Harold-kun. How was your day today?”

“There’s something I need to talk to you about urgently.”

Harold wasn’t a person for pleasantries and cut straight to the point.

I also changed my posture to one for listening.

“Hmm, let me hear it.”

“One week from now the Knight Order will leave for an expedition to the Blitz Forest.”

“That’s quite far,”

Blitz Forest was located near the border, it’d take a month just to travel there.

At the very least, they could shorten the trip by taking an airship to a nearby area.

“But isn’t that too dangerous as your first assignment?”

“On the surface, it’s only a patriotic mission, but there’s a chance that it’ll develop into a skirmish against the Star Aria Tribe.”

“Wha-!”

I unintentionally let out a loud voice.

Harold just said that the Order and the Star Aria Tribe will fight, that there’s a chance of his mission developing into an ethnic conflict.

It would’ve made a funny story if the person telling it was different.

“Are you sure about this? Why is that?”

“There’s a traitor within the top brass, who’s planning to guide the negotiations towards war.”

It was hard to believe how he talked about such a topic so indifferently.

Well, the other party was Harold after all, he wouldn’t say something like this without a reason why.

“…how so?”

“Their objective is the capture of the Star Aria Tribe, apparently they’re the resources needed to conduct inhumane experiments and dissections. Basically, if one is captured, then that seals their fate to death.”

“If what you’re telling me is true, then this is a problem that can’t be overlooked by humanity itself.”

But if there’s no evidence to justify these claims, then I, no, the Sumeragi Family can’t move.

Even just putting in a request for a search of this scale will put the people involved at high risk.

While it may be a despicable inhumane practice, you just have to close your eyes and pretend it’s not there sometimes.

“I can’t put out any evidence, it’s not possible, there’s no written reports or anything physical for me to procure.”

“Then how did you learn about this secret, Harold-kun?”

It’s only natural to doubt him at this point, this shouldn’t have been able to obtain this information in the first place.

Well, Harold always did have a mysterious information network, but is the information he received really credible?

In the end, my hypothesis was right on the mark.

“‘Giffelt’, have you heard of this name before?”