Vacation House

(CAPTAIN WANG)

The magistrate in this town was accommodating enough. He believed our story that the man slipped and drown in the stream. That Dayu and I were passing when we heard the distressed scream of the woman as she watched her husband died.

It was ruled as an unfortunate accident. Everything was cleared up in just half an hour. Then in my surprise, Dayu asked for a horse and a wagon.

"The widow will come with us. She has nowhere to go now. We are going to the next town," Dayu said to the magistrate.

The magistrate looked at me for confirmation and I had no choice but to nod my agreement.

That is the reason why when we rode to our destination, we have another horse and a wagon with a widow trodding behind us.

It's close to sunset when we got to the Wang's vacation house, we were welcomed by the caretaker and helpers there. I dismounted my horse first.

"Master Qing," the caretaker, an elderly man and his wife, smiled and bow at us. "We have been anticipating your arrival. What's with the wagon..."

"There is a woman inside. Can you help her get clean and change into another dress?" Dayu, who stood by my side after dismounting, said.

"A woman..." the caretaker looked at me. I nodded to him.

The caretaker's wife signaled the other female helpers to inspect the wagon and follow Dayu's bidding.

"Is this him, Master Qing?" The caretaker looked at Dayu with interest.

"Yes," I nodded.

"I see," the caretaker nodded and smile. "The people you asked for are already here. I gathered them all in your father's office..."

I felt Dayu stiffening at the mention of my father.

"I understand. We will just change our clothes. Can you send some refreshment in my room? And feed the woman first..."

"Don't worry about her, the wife will make sure she will be taken care of." The caretaker bowed. "We will take a tray in your room, Master."

I turned to Dayu, "Let's go inside..."

"This house is almost as big as our house in the estate. Are you sure this is just a vacation house?" Dayu asked while are entering.

"Yes. But my family lived here for four years. During my earlier training years under Master Gao. When my strength started getting out of control, I asked my Baba to isolate me, so he took us all in this place. Away from the capital...to isolate me...isolate us. My family won't let me get isolated alone..."

"I see..." Dayu hummed. "So there were really moments when your father proved that he was a good man..."

"He was a good father, Dayu." I said while we walked along the long hallways inside the vacation house. "He was not a good man but he loved us, his family."

Dayu nodded. I opened the doors on my room and guided him inside. "You can rest here until dinner..."

"Who are the people you are meeting?" Dayu asked.

"People that will provide me with the things we will need for our stay here." I said.

"What things will they provide?" Dayu's curiosity is not waning.

"I will tell you later. For now, rest." I leaned closer to kiss his lips. Dayu answered the kiss. "Should I ask the helpers to ready a bath for you, my heart?"

"Maybe later," Dayu bestowed a smile at me. "I would like to lay down and rest. I am not used to prolong riding on a horse,"

"Then rest," I kissed his forehead.