Papers

(DAYU)

The legal terminologies are too complicated for me to understand them all. Captain tried his best to explain everything to me with the aide of his solicitors.

My lover gathered his solicitors again this morning so they can explain everything about this "marriage" to me.

"This documents will show that you will have rights to General Wang's money and properties because the two of you are legal business partners." The solicitor said as he showed me a piece of parchments with complicated wordings on them. I read "business" and "shared rights" written on it. "This paper will mean that once something happened to either partners, his rights of shares will pass to his legal business partner, which in General Wang's case, will be you..." the solicitor pointed at me.

"I see..." I stared at that piece of paper. For such a small document, it's so important that it gave me rights to half of all of Captain Wang's money and properties.

"Now, this other paper will bind you to the Wang family." The solicitors showed me another paper, "It's written here that you are adopted by the Wangs and will have the first right to care for General Wang's children if he passed away..."

"Adopted?" I look at my lover. I thought he is marrying me. Why am I suddenly getting adopted?

"A marriage document will be illegal, Master Dayu." The solicitor explained to me. "But we also drafted a marriage certificate for you and for the General, you can also sign that if you want to. But that will never be valid as you are both male."

I know that. It's illegal for a man to marry another man in this land. It is punishable by the law.

"I see..." my tone lowered down. "And this adoption document..."

"Is legal and binding. It can be contested but with the aid of the first document about you having the rights to all of General Wang's money and properties, securing your rights on General Wang's children will be easy." The solicitors gave me uneasy looks. "Money can play a big factor if anyone will contest your rights to keep caring for the twins."

Oh...if anyone contest, I can buy the law with Captain Wang's money. With the vast amount of money I will inherit from him, I can pay or bribe anyone to keep quiet.

"Or I can simply kill anyone who will contest..." I said to Captain Wang. "That will be easier, right?"

I felt everyone on that meeting room growing still upon hearing my question. Captain Wang winced yet he nodded. "We could use that as our last option," he said.

"Okay," I nodded and look back at the solicitors who cleared their throat and contined explaining. "Like what we were saying, as long as you hold these two papers, you have all the rights granted to a spouse or a parent. Even more so because a business partner has more rights than a wife in the eyes of the law..."

I know that too. I just rescued an abused wife yesterday. A woman who has so little rights she was forced to run away and decided to just disappear.

"So all I need to do is show this paper," I point at the first document they explained to me, "To say that I am General Wang's business partner to have rights to this next paper," I pointed at the adoption document, "That says I have the rights to take care of the twins. Am I right?"

"Yes," both solicitors breathed easily. "That's basically the essence of these papers. This third one..." they slipped another paper on the table. "Is your marriage document."

I gently raise it up from the table to read it. "My name is written as simply Jian Yu...why?"

Captain Wang, who is sitting beside me, caressed my back. "Your original surname was branded as traitors and rebels during those raids, Dayu ah. Your Uncle had been using the Feng name. That's what we learned during our research of your origin."