Last Will

(DAYU)

"She sounded like a dragon," I said to my cousin while we are in my private room. This room holds things from my past that I hope I won't need again but I can't entirely let go.

This room holds my "Shadow" persona. My weapons, notes and array of ingredients to make different kinds of poison. This space is prohibited to anyone in the house and locked tight when I am not in it. My children are most definitely not allowed in this room at any point or time. Their nannies were told about that rule.

But Mei is always allowed in this room. As my cousin, I trust no one more to understand what this room means to me than Mei.

And this is where we had a conversation about what has been bothering my cousin. The reason why Mei looked unenergized since yesterday.

It has something to do with my cousin's lover and Jiang's family.

"I will admit to liking the idea of you staying here in the Capital to be closer to me." I smile at Mei as my cousin busied himself from peering into my poppy seed collection. "But if you will be continuously bothered by Jiang's family, I would prefer it if you will stay in Heilongjiang where they cannot disturb your life."

Mei gave me a grateful look, "Those are the options I am weighing on myself as well. I would love to live closer to you and your children, cousin."

My smile widened at that, "I know you will find my children lovable and engaging. It's their Wang charm that they got from their sire. They are quite irresistible, aren't they?"

Mei chuckled, "In case you are not aware, you just bestowed a compliment on your lover, calling him charming."

I waved my hand dismissively, "Captain Wang can be quite a charmer if he puts his mind into it. He is not all brooding and strict, Mei."

My cousin continued to chuckle, "I see that he makes you happy."

I turned serious on that, "And even if it pains me to admit it, Jiang also makes you happy." I sighed. "I will never forget what he has done for us, Mei. You stayed in Heilongjiang for me but he stayed there for you. And for that, Captain Jiang will always have my gratitude."

For seven years, I was miserable. Punishing myself and my lover for sins we committed. For the deaths of my Uncle Shu and Captain Wang's father. And throughout that hard ordeal, Mei stayed with me, never letting me be alone. Like how Uncle Shu taught us.

But Captain Jiang stayed for Mei. As Mei held me when times were rough, Captain Jiang was there to hold my cousin when it's hard for Mei to see me going through hardship. Mei kept me sane but Captain Jiang kept my cousin from falling apart with me.

And for that, I am thankful to the man.

But that doesn't mean that my gratitude towards the man extends to his family.

Especially if that family is going to give my cousin problems.

I will admit to not giving a care to other people aside from my family. I reserve my love and care for them, Captain Wang and our children. And by extension...the people in the Wang estate. I also care for the welfare of the people working in my household and estate.

My love and care I also give to two other people: Governor Feng and Luau. Uncle Shu's closest friend and his protegee.

But Mei...Mei is different from everybody. Mei is an extension of me. He knows me in ways even my lover won't. Mei was there when I lost everything and he was one of two people who gave me back everything. Mei was there when we lost our mentor, uncle and in a way, our father. Uncle Shu...