Little Princess

(MEI)

Three years later...

"Uncle! What a pleasant surprise!" I smiled widely when I saw Uncle Feng waiting for me in the tea room. I just came from my afternoon teaching children and was delighted when a servant told me that my uncle, the former governor of SiChuan, is waiting for me.

"Mei," Uncle Feng opened his arms and I gladly gave him a hug.

"What brought you here? We just saw you a month ago when we visited Uncle Shu?"

It was an emotional visit for me and my cousin. We promised that we will stop letting the past bring gloom to our hearts. Dayu and I also made a decision to put our visit to Uncle Shu to a seldom occassion. Before, we will visit Uncle Shu everytime the feeling struck us...now, we don't want to burden and worry our uncle anymore. Dayu and I decided to set our hearts free from heartache and grief for our uncle.

We saw Uncle Feng in HanZong and SiChuan yet now, he is here in the capital to visit us.

"What brought you here, Uncle?" I asked while we were sitting down for tea.

"I just want to see you before I go to Dayu's home. I am delivering something...or rather someone to him." Uncle sighed.

"Someone? Who?" I looked around and finally caught a sight of a basket on the chair next to my uncle. It was a sizable one with blankets on it. I peered into the basket and my eyes widened at what I saw.

"A b-baby?" I turned my shocked eyes to my uncle who winced at me. "What are you doing with a baby, Uncle?"

"Don't ask questions, Mei." Uncle said in a tired tone. "For I also cannot explain her origin fully. I am just hoping that Dayu will have a space in his home for another child. Someone who can grow up with the twins."

"But Uncle..." I peered into the basket again. The baby inside looked tiny while swaddled with several blankets. "It's a girl?" I asked, curiously.

"Yes," Uncle Feng sipped some tea. "Hua and Dao are both delightful children, I am hoping Dayu will find it in his heart to raise another one. This one..." Uncle Feng winced while gesturing to the sleeping babe in the basket. "Rarely cries but when she is hungry..."

"I think all babies cry when they are hungry." I said sympathetically.

Uncle Feng nodded. "Luau and I cannot care for her, though. We have jobs to do, a province to govern and a business to manage. I could employ a lifetime nanny for her but I think raising a child in a nest full of spies and assassins is not ideal. Especially since she is a girl. So I decided that the Capital is a perfect place for her to grow up. Maybe in Dayu's arms. Your cousin already have an established home, with nannies at his employ. He may take better care of this baby than me and Luau."

Logical thoughts.

I nodded, "I think that is wise, Uncle."

"I just hope Dayu won't feel overwhelm with another child." Uncle Feng sipped more tea. "Where is your lover?" He asked gruffly afterwards.

I inwardly smile. Uncle Feng might show discontent with our choice of lovers but I know he is warming up to Captain Jiang and Wang.

"Manning an inventory in his warehouse, Uncle. He will be home this evening." I said.

"Good. How is your school?" Uncle inquired about me next.

"Fine. I enjoy teaching my students here. Some are more diligent in their studies, others are not. But they are all young and will have time to learn."