Trapped

(JIANG)

"He doomed us all," a cousin of mine says after we heard the last words of my father from our family's solicitors.

"What do you mean he doomed us all?" The wife of my youngest uncle asked. "He gave the reins to WuBao, we all expected that."

"With a stipulation that WuBao will stay here in the Capital to oversee everything or else, all of it will be forfeited to the government and the Imperial Family. Including our name." My youngest uncle answered his wife.

"I will not lose our noble name," my other uncle said in a grave tone. "The Jiang name has been respected for hundreds of years in this land. Our ancestors worked hard to build this name and legacy for us."

"He is right," my grandmother spoken in agreement. "Sacrifices had been made to make get family our great name. The Jiangs will not cease to exist. My son may have been delirium in his last days to construct such will but all is not lost. WuBao will save us..."

Oh my...

"It's not that hard, really." My sister, who came from Tianjin with her husband equipped. "My brother can always come home and assume his responsibilities. No Jiang had abandoned his family and legacy. My brother won't start now."

I looked at her. My sister and I were never close but we also don't feel animosity towards each other. We sort of have a long gap between our ages but my sister held no ill feelings towards me.

I wonder why she is starting to get on my nerves now.

They all look at me. I inwardly winced at the excess attetion I am getting. "Can't I just pass on the properties and management of the business with all of you? We can all share it..." I looked at our family's solicitor. "I can do that, right? I own those businesses and properties now."

"You can, but it's still important that you stay here in the Capital to oversee the management of your inheritance. Or else the government and the Imperial Family might move to forfeit them all. We have sent a copy of your father's will to the Imperial Family, so they are aware of the conditions your father has for the Jiangs to maintain their wealth and status. The government now know that you, and no other, will lead this family."

Damn it! Double damn it!

I swallowed the bitter profanity I have lodged in my throat. "Are there other stipulations on my father's will?" I asked.

The solicitors looked at each other before shaking their heads. "Not that we can think of. You only need to stay and oversee the management of your inheritance here in the Capital. The rest of the issue...your father is leaving it to others." The lawyers looked at my grandmother who nodded her understanding and looked at her other sons. My uncles...

Oh...I see. I understand it now. My father only made sure that I will be trapped in the Capital. The rest of the plan to ruin my life was left to my other relatives. My alive and breathing relatives.

Fucking wonderful.

I waved my hand in the direction of the solicitors. "Give me copies of my father's will. I will study them..."

"Will do, Master Jiang." The solicitors nodded.

"Why? So you can look for loopholes on it?" My grandmother asked as I stood from my chair. I cannot take staying in this place any longer.